How US House and Senate Candidates View Abortion

Durham, NH- A counter demonstration in response to Students for Life America’s tabling event forms outside the Memorial Union Building at UNH.

Ava Montalbano, Staff Writer

In the wake of the overturning of Roe v. Wade, many New Hampshire residents are concerned with how the 2022 midterm elections will affect abortion regulations. 

The midterm election on Nov 8. will determine the direction of state abortion laws and how New Hampshire will be represented in Congress. With the national tension surrounding reproductive freedom, abortion regulations will be a driving force for New Hampshire residents to cast their ballots. 

A poll conducted by St. Anselm’s College revealed that 71% of New Hampshire residents consider themselves pro-choice, 25% as pro-life, and 3% are unsure. 

Abortion remains legal in New Hampshire up to 24 weeks and requires guardian notification for minors seeking an abortion. These numbers could change, though, depending on which party wins the Senate and the House. 

Both Republican Senate nominee Don Bolduc and U.S. House of Representatives nominee Karoline Leavitt have described themselves as “pro-life,” with Leavitt being far more vocal.

“As a member of Congress, I will be a fearless pro-life advocate to defend the lives of the unborn and speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves,” stated Leavitt on her website. “I will also fight to codify the Hyde Amendment to guarantee a permanent ban on federal funding and subsidies for abortion.”

Bolduc stated his support of the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade due to his belief that laws surrounding abortion should be a state decision, not federal law. However, while he is an anti-abortion candidate, enacting federal abortion legislation does not appear to be his top concern.

“Here in NH, our state has already passed our own laws well before this Court decision. That’s precisely how our Founding Fathers intended our Constitutional Republic to function,” Bolduc stated in a Tweet last June.

Both Democratic Senate nominee Maggie Hassan and U.S. House nominee Chris Pappas strongly support a woman’s right to choose. Both have declared they will fight for abortion rights in New Hampshire and in Washington. 

“Now that this decision has been issued, we must keep fighting to pass this life-saving legislation to protect women’s personal freedoms, as well as legislation to enshrine all rights rooted in the right to privacy into law,” Pappas stated on his website.

Senator Maggie Hassan has established herself as a proponent of women’s autonomy and continues to assure New Hampshire residents that she will fight for abortion rights. 

“Senator Hassan is working to stop the push by anti-choice extremists to ban abortion nationwide.” States Hassan’s website

For students looking for more information on how to vote in the upcoming election on Nov. 8, 603 Forward offers information on their website. Students can also access more information on how to vote by checking out the University of New Hampshire Voting page.