What team? Wildcats

Think back to “spirit days” in primary and secondary school. The excitement of getting dressed up, walking in the halls and feeling the electric energy bounce through the corridors. The anticipation for the big game and pep rally distracting your brain in math class; memories of school spirit are some of the best.

Though it may not seem like it, those days are far from over. Now is the time to show your school pride more than ever. Contrary to what some may believe, being full of spirit is cool at UNH. We have a huge student section, the ‘Cat Pack, who swing rally towels, yell group chants and organize explosive chalk tosses. We have tailgates, face painting, game hashtags and not to mention an amazing new stadium that can fit over 11,000 people.

Walking into any sporting event with UNH gear on creates an automatic bond between all students, facility and alumni who become a Wildcat family on game day. Going to events like these are crucial to the overall UNH experience. On Saturday night, the first football game in Wildcat Stadium was a great example of how UNH fans can make Durham magical.

However, it is important to remember that football and hockey, the seemingly most popular games to attend, aren’t the only events where students can show spirit. Remember, the athletes are students also and supporting fellow ‘Cats and classmates is just another way to help make the UNH community feel united.

Here at The New Hampshire we have had a reputable sports section for over 100 years. We pride ourselves in not just showcasing the “most popular” sporting events, but highlighting the teams that are working hard and winning. As journalists and Wildcats, we see the importance in making sure our stellar athletes are in the spotlight, regardless of their sport or gender.

Supporting all UNH teams will by default create a closer community. Being a part of a strong community is important, but helping to create that close community is when you will really start feeling like a true Wildcat. We would like to challenge every student to get to at least one event for every team this school year.

Don’t forget, sporting events aren’t the only place to wear that UNH gear. Showing school spirit in class, at a student org. event and around town are great ways to create a positive environment. So, whether you’re watching the puck drop, cheering on a 100-fly or showing off your Dad’s retro UNH sweatshirt at a CAB Outdoor Movie on the great lawn, remember…
every day is a great day to be a
Wildcat.