UNH Women’s Soccer: Wildcats Inch Closer to End of Season With A Tie vs. UMBC

Abbi Maier

Durham N.H.- The University of New Hampshire (UNH) Wildcats (6-4-4, 3-1-3) played their way to a 0-0 tie this past weekend against the UMBC Retrievers (3-11-4, 0-4-4). 

Despite the score, the Wildcats outplayed the Retrievers throughout the game. The time of possession and scoring chances were greatly lopsided in the Wildcats favor. The ‘cats generated 22 shot attempts throughout the game to the Retrievers 3. 

However, this was not enough to produce the game-breaking goal they had hoped for. Their best chances to score came in the first half when UNH recorded six shots on goal in a 10-minute span. 

All these shots were turned away by Junior goalkeeper Abbey Cowles. Her six-save first half and eight-save game earned her the honor of being named the American East Defensive Player of the Week award. 

As for the Wildcats, sophomore midfielder, Abbi Maier led the team in shot attempts. She recorded three shot attempts throughout the contest. Sophomore goalkeeper Sally Rainey was able to record her eighth shutout of the season with a three-save performance that kept the ‘Cats from leaving empty-handed. 

Up next for the Wildcats is their final regular season contest against the UMaine Blackbears (9-1-5 4-1-2) with a lot at stake in this final contest. UMaine ranks second in the AE standings and the Wildcats in third place, separated by only two points. 

This means, that in this final rivalry game, the Wildcats can jump Maine in the standings with a win. The Wildcats have not lost in 6 straight contests but a win will be easier said than done as UMaine is undefeated at home this season with a 4-0-2 record. The ‘cats biggest game of the season is Tuesday, October 24th at 6 p.m.