UNH Women’s Soccer: Wildcats Record Much Needed First Win Since August

Megan+Logue
Katharine Hamel
Megan Logue

Smithfield R.I. – The University of New Hampshire (UNH) Wildcats (4-4-1, 1-1) were able to pick up a critical victory this weekend over the Bryant Bulldogs. The ‘Cats were able to leave Bernie Stadium with a 2-0 win. 

The victory was in large part due to the goals scored by both senior midfielder Megan Logue and forward Katie Oliver. Logue broke the tie in the 53rd minute with an assist from junior midfielder Meghan Guarente. UNH was able to pull away with Katie Oliver’s goal, assisted by junior forward Chloe DeLyser just over one minute later. 

The ‘Cats were able to protect their lead behind Sophomore goalkeeper Sally Reineys four save shutout. All four of these saves came in the second half once the Wildcats had built their 2-0 lead. 

Head coach Steve Welham credits the offensive bounce back to execution in the final third, as well as some bounces finally going the ‘Cats way. UNH has had several near goals in the past weeks that have gone cross-bar and out. 

The ‘Cats 4-4-1 record is the exact same this season as it was at this time one year ago. Last year, the Wildcats ripped off four straight after the first nine, something the team hopes to replicate. 

Coach Welham did make a point to differentiate this year’s team. 

“Every season is different, every team is different, we are finding the DNA of our team. We are finding out more about ourselves each game. We have 10 new faces on the team.”

The Wildcats next challenge will be against another American East opponent, UMass Lowell River Hawks (1-3-4, 1-0). The Wildcats face a quick turnaround as this will be their second of three games in a 7 game stretch. Look for the Wildcats to lean on their depth as they return to Wildcat stadium this Thursday, September 28th at 6:00 p.m.