Senior Farewell: Anna Kate Munsey

Anna Kate Munsey, Managing Editor

The saying goes that if you love what you do, you’ll never work a day in your life. I’m going to law school, so clearly that’s not a theory I’m currently subscribing to.

All jokes aside, I do believe wholeheartedly in following your passions and finding the things that make you feel alive, engaged and excited.

When I walked into the newsroom of The New Hampshire (TNH) during the fall of my sophomore year, I was mainly attempting to get a piece published to fulfill a class requirement. I never expected to find such an amazing group of like-minded, hardworking people who would truly change my college experience.

The first big story I covered was a MUB Talk by Parkland survivor David Hogg, who is now a widely-known gun safety activist. I was moved by Hogg’s speech, and felt so lucky to interview him. After leaving, I knew that I wanted everyone who was not able to attend to be able to hear his story, to feel his words. And so I wrote.

As much as I loved writing, I may have even loved my role as editor more. I have had the privilege of watching writers grow from timid contributors to highly-skilled, well-rounded student journalists.

The most fulfilling aspect of my entire college career was managing TNH’s coverage of the 2020 election. From the start, we’d articulated that this would be an all–hands-on-deck situation. Dozens of interviews, emails, articles, photos, social media posts and print newspapers later, we’d done it. From the sports editors to the arts contributors, everyone had lent a hand. My heart felt full not just at our success, but at the way everyone had risen to the occasion and become interested in the subject matter. If there’s one single line I’ll remember from my years in the newsroom, it’s probably sports editor (and closeted TNH Political Correspondent) Cam Beall’s “He wants them to stop counting the votes? That’s absurd!”

To Josh and Hannah, I truly do not know what would be of TNH without the two of you. Our self-proclaimed TNH Dream Team navigated the struggles of Covid, transitioned to fully-digital, and had many little wins along the way. Thanks for being my besties, and more importantly for putting up with me.

To Max Scheinblum and everyone else brave enough to be taking over, I wish you the best of luck. Grab some caffeine and your laptops, and teach this campus the value of the news. Don’t be afraid to ask for help from fellow staff members or the icons of the journalism department – Tom Haines, Lisa Miller and Sue Hertz.

To all UNH journalism students, I hope you never forget the power of your voice and the strength you can give to your words and the words of others. Always remember that journalism is the first draft of history.

With love,

Anna Kate