UNH men’s basketball: Wildcats vs. Vermont matchups and notes 

Cameron Beall, Sports Editor

Preview 

The University of New Hampshire (UNH) Wildcats are on the heels of what could be their biggest win to this point in the season. UNH defeated UMBC on Monday which gives them their first winning streak since Nov. 27. This win also sent the Wildcats up to third place in a congested top-half of the America East. 

The University of Vermont (UVM) Catamounts have been a runaway train all season long. After receiving votes in the AP Top-25 Poll in the midst of a 14-game win streak, the Catamounts suffered their first loss in league play on Monday. The Hartford Hawks took down UVM in overtime in what was senior Ryan Davis’ second game missed in a row. 

Wednesday, Feb. 16th, 2022 

University of Vermont Catamounts (20-5, 12-1) at University of New Hampshire Wildcats (12-10, 7-6) 

When: 7:00 p.m.  

Where: Lundholm Gymnasium, Durham, N.H.

Watch: ESPN3/+  

Listen: 91.3 WUNH Durham 

UNH starting five vs. UMBC (Feb. 14) 

#11 Blondeau Tchoukuiegno: 11.8 PPG, 4.0 APG, 5.0 RPG 

#10 Nick Johnson: 8.4 PPG, 1.3 APG, 4.5 RPG 

#24 Jayden Martinez: 15.1 PPG, 1.4 APG, 6.0 RPG 

#3 Nick Guadarrama: 12.6 PPG, 2.7 APG, 5.0 RPG 

#1 Tayler Mattos: 4.4 PPG, 0.5 APG, 5.8 RPG 

UVM starting five vs. Hartford (Feb. 14) 

#24 Ben Shungu: 15.8 PPG, 2.5 APG, 4.5 RPG 

#4 Kam Gibson: 5.4 PPG, 0.6 APG, 1.2 RPG 

#21 Justin Mazzulla: 7.5 PPG, 1.9 APG, 3.2 RPG 

#55 Robin Duncan: 3.5 PPG, 2.2 APG, 3.3 RPG 

#14 Isaiah Powell: 9.6 PPG, 3.1 APG, 6.3 RPG 

Key Players 

After averaging just 9.2 points per game in his first six games of league play this season, UNH senior Jayden Martinez has returned to form posting 17.5 points per game over his last six contests. New Hampshire will need Martinez to continue to takeover games down the stretch to be able to hang on to a top-four seed and host at least a quarterfinal matchup in the playoffs. The All-Conference player has the offensive arsenal to score from anywhere on the floor, but he’ll need a bit of help to relieve some of the defensive pressure sent his way. 

An X factor the rest of the way for UNH could be sophomore transfer Marco Foster. The product of Division II Oklahoma Christian University has quickly become the best shooter in the America East. Converting at a 42% rate from distance, Foster can be chalked up as another Wildcat whose offensive skillset will be on the mind of every defender with five games to go. If Foster can get hot, New Hampshire will be able to open up their playbook on Wednesday and give themselves plenty of versatility. 

The reigning America East Player of the Year, senior Ryan Davis, has missed the last two games due to back tightness; however, if he’s able to suit up against New Hampshire he’ll pose as big of a threat as anyone in the conference. Standing 6-foot-8, Davis averages 17.4 points per game and 5.8 rebounds all while shooting 44.2% from 3-point range. The numbers don’t lie with Davis, if he’s on the court he’ll be at the forefront of each Wildcats’ scouting report on Wednesday. 

The Catamounts don’t have a shabby second option to Davis either. Graduate student Ben Shungu has scored more than 20 points on seven different occasions this season. The guard proved plenty capable without Davis the last two games. On Monday at Hartford, Shungu scored 21 points while pulling down 12 rebounds. He also added two blocks and two steals. 

Series History 

UNH All-Time vs. UVM: UVM leads series 28-4 

UVM at UNH: UVM leads series 9-4   

UNH Last Matchup vs. UVM: UVM defeated UNH 82-68 in Burlington, VT. (1/6/2022) 

Photo courtesy of Pete Estes