Police identify persons of interest in attempted abduction

By Melissa Proulx, Staff Writer

Though the Durham Police Department has “identified three persons of interest pertaining to the alleged abduction,” the investigation of the attempted abduction that occurred in the early morning hours of Friday, Aug. 29 will not continue.

“After extensive investigation and interviews, the alleged victim in this matter has declined to collaborate further, forcing the Durham Police to suspend any further investigation into the alleged incident,” wrote Durham Police Chief David Kurz in the release.

According to a UNH Alert sent out on Aug. 29 at around 8:30 p.m., a female student was walking on Garrison Avenue in the area near Strafford Avenue and Madbury Road when three men tried to abduct her by grabbing her arm and trying to force her into their trunk.

“Three white males described as ‘military looking’ pulled up to her in a tan 4-door sedan with South Carolina plates,” according to the UNH Campus Alert sent to students. “Two of the males got out of the vehicle and tried talking the female student into going with them.”

The report said that the unidentified female was saved by three male friends who heard her and came to her assistance. She did not report any injuries.

Even though the investigation involved a UNH student, it was handled by the Durham Police Department due to the fact that the crime occurred off-campus.

In a follow up email, Kurz said he had no further comment on the incident or the suspended investigation.

“We cannot proceed further without a complainant or a witness,” he wrote in the email.

Though the crime will not be solved as of right now, Kurz urges anyone to report any suspicious activity they might see in regards to any crime that might occur either on campus or in the surrounding area.

“While the Town of Durham was recently cited as one of the safest communities in New Hampshire, due in large part of the collaboration of the Durham and University of New Hampshire police departments, both departments urge university students, community members and visitors to always be aware of their surroundings and take steps to stay safe,” Kurz wrote.