SCOPE announces Dominic Fike as headliner for spring concert

Cameron Beall, Staff Writer

DURHAM, N.H. – The Student Committee on Popular Entertainment (SCOPE) announced Dominic Fike as the headliner for this spring’s concert on Sunday, April 24. One major change comes along with this announcement, however; this semester’s show will take place outdoors for the first time in decades in A-Lot instead of the Whittemore Center. 

“We’re really excited and proud of this event,” said SCOPE Executive Director John Rooney. “It took a lot of collaboration from the university, [Memorial Union Building], [Student Activity Fund Committee] and [Campus Activities Board] to bring this together. Concerts are a huge part of a lot of students’ college experience and we’re happy to bring that aspect back to campus coming out of the pandemic.” 

Fike, a rising alternative star, first broke onto the scene in 2017 with his EP Don’t Forget About Me, Demos. He is now most known for his hit single 3 Nights. The song peaked as high as No. 26 on the Billboard Adult Alternative Airplay Chart where it spent six weeks in the fall of 2019. Fike is also known for his recent work on the HBO hit series Euphoria. Featured on season two of the show, Fike played the role of Elliot alongside stars like Zendaya and Angus Cloud. His opening act is yet to be announced, but SCOPE expects the news to break within the next week. 

“A lot goes into the selection process,” said Rooney. “We try to represent campus as best as possible in the decisions we make for the concert including who is performing and the location of the event.” 

SCOPE is upgrading from their fall concert featuring Tai Verdes which was held in the Granite State Room and only held a capacity of 400. A-Lot will be able to house 4,000 students this time around, nearing the usual capacity of the Whittemore Center which had been as much as 5,000 for past concerts.  

Rooney says SCOPE received a lot of positive feedback from the fall concert, but the venue was the one downside. The biggest complaint according to Rooney was that the show sold out too quickly given the limited capacity. 

“We had a great fall show and are glad we will be able to put on something larger and be able to reach more students,” said Rooney. 

The idea of an outdoor concert is something that SCOPE has been contemplating for the last few shows from the feedback received in surveys they put out each semester. These surveys are one of the biggest factors that play into the decision about the performer and venue. 

Rooney said a lot of different areas were in the mix for possible venues, but “A-Lot is one of the bigger areas available on campus and provides a flat enough surface to bring in all the production that goes into a 4,000-person concert. “  

Another new addition to this semester’s concert will be the inclusion of the university’s Campus Activity Board (CAB). The organization will provide interactive options and activities on the day of the concert to enhance the show. Specifics on CAB’s involvement are yet to be announced. 

Tickets for the show will be general admission and go on sale on Friday, April 15 at 10 a.m. The show is only available to University of New Hampshire (UNH) students. This is the second straight semester in which SCOPE hasn’t opened the concert to non-UNH students.