Millenials making history

Today marks a historical event. Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton and Republican nominee Donald Trump will go head-to-head marking the start of the seven-week final stretch of the presidential race. For the first time in history not only will a woman be one of the nominees, but you will be able to vote. With the exception of a handful of undergraduates who turned 18 before Nov. 6, 2012, we students will have the power of the vote for the first time this year: a true American privilege at our fingertips.
According to the Campus Vote Project, young adults ages 18-29, made up about 21 percent of the eligible voting population in 2014. However, voter turnout for our demographic was also at a record low during that year, with only 17 percent of young adults ages 18-24 voting. This is an embarrassing statistic for our age group, but it can be fixed if we all do our part.
Do not take this liberty with a grain of salt, Wildcats. Voting is a serious matter and should be taken seriously by all students, not only at UNH but around the country. Part of being an informed voter and member of society is keeping up with the times. Watching the presidential debates are critical and regardless of if you have already decided who you are casting your ballot for, you should be watching.
As millennial voters, we make up a very diverse group of opinions; however, we are most likely some of the only people who vote with college students in mind. There are very few voters who have the issues of educational standards and college loans in the forefront of their list of important topics. Upholding the future of higher education falls on our shoulders and making sure we know what each nominee plans on doing for our population if elected president is key.
Not only do we college students make up an important voting demographic, we are also all granted the opportunity to vote in New Hampshire. This is a unique chance, especially for students who are from out of state. According to research from Politico.com, 11 states, (Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Wisconsin), will determine the next president. These states are often being referred to as “battleground” states on multiple platforms.
Politico also states New Hampshire is one of the six “blue wall” states that have been reliably Democratic over the past few decades. However, this election is different and New Hampshire is projected to possibly flip to red. Whether you want that or not, your vote counts. Wasting your chance by staying home on Election Day is only doing yourself and our generation a disservice. And, to take it a step further, do some research before you head to the polls. Being informed about all candidates’ policies can make a world of difference. Whether or not you believe your vote counts, having the privilege to cast a ballot is not a right that should be taken for granted.
To share your thoughts and opinions on tomorrow’s debate with us, use
#UNHvotes and let your voice be heard. Your Tweet could even end up in TNH.