Republicans take control of N.H. Legislature, Executive Council

Republicans picked up key seats in Election Day races across the state, giving them control of the State Senate, State House, Executive Council, and Governor’s Office.  

On Wednesday morning, the New Hampshire GOP tweeted, “Yesterday, New Hampshire flipped the Executive Council, the State Senate, and the State House to Republicans while overwhelmingly re-electing @ChrisSununu. Under the Governor’s leadership New Hampshire Republicans will continue to preserve the NH Advantage!”  

All of these red flips mean that many Republican-supported bills and legislative measures now have a clear path to becoming law, and many Democrat-supported bills – such as those that Sununu has recently vetoed – likely will not pass. 

The New Hampshire House, State Senate, and Executive Council were all Democratic majority prior to Tuesday night’s election. Republican Gov. Chris Sununu was easily elected to a third term, with over 65% of the vote according to the Associated Press. 

“I am pleased that Granite State voters rejected the DC style politics that had crept into the State House these last two years, and I am excited to get to work with our new Republican majorities to deliver results for the people of this state,” tweeted Gov. Chris Sununu on Wednesday afternoon. 

According to WMUR, the current House Minority leader Dick Hinch said, “We have the majority … and are ready to get to work!” 

Chair of the New Hampshire Democratic Party Ray Buckley said in a statement, “While we weren’t able to claim the corner office nor expand our majorities in the State Legislature or on the Executive Council, I know our state leaders will continue to – in the face of aggressive Republican lies and smears – remain focused on the fight to help Granite Staters by building back better after the pandemic, making health care more affordable, raising the minimum wage, and advancing a clean energy future just as they have done throughout their campaigns. It’s clear that New Hampshire voters were focused on the Trump sideshow in Washington and not on the GOP circus in Concord, and while last night’s state results may not be what we’d hoped, voters have elected a slate of strong Democratic leaders, and I am proud of the honest, local, and positive campaigns they ran this year.” 

Buckley also noted some of the key wins in national races by Democrats in New Hampshire – such as Shaheen, Pappas, Kuster and the state going blue for Biden. He noted that N.H. voters elected a Black county sheriff and an openly LGBTQ woman to the State Senate, for the first time ever.  

NH GOP did not respond to request for comment.