World-Famous historian to speak in lecture series

By Nathanael Nappen, Contributing Writer

Courtesy Photo Dr. Doris Kearns Goodwin will present “Leadership Lessons of History: Goodwin on the American Presidents” as part of the Rutman Distinguished Lecture Series.
Courtesy Photo
Dr. Doris Kearns Goodwin will present “Leadership Lessons of History: Goodwin on the American Presidents” as part of the Rutman Distinguished Lecture Series.

Dr. Doris Kearns Goodwin, who was a political science and government professor at Harvard University, is coming to UNH for the Rutman Distinguished Lecture Series on the American Presidency.

The presentation will begin at 7 p.m. on Monday September 29 in the Paul Creative Arts Center’s Johnson Theatre. Her lecture is called the “Leadership Lessons of History: Goodwin on the American Presidents.”

Dr.Goodwin has written six The New York Times best-sellers including, “The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt.” The book’s film rights were recently bought by DreamWorks Studios and was recommended by Bill Gates “to be added to everyone’s summer reading list.”

She has previously worked personally with Steven Spielberg on the movie “Lincoln,” which grossed $275 million at the box office and earned 12 Academy Award nominations. The movie was based on Dr. Goodwin’s book “Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln.” She was also awarded the Pulitzer Prize in history for “No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt–The Home Front of World War II.” The award is for achievements in all forms of writing in the United States. Her book’s rights were then purchased by Fox and the development of a mini-series called “No Ordinary Times” is in the development.

She has also appeared on a number of talk shows including “The Oprah Winfrey Show,” “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno,” “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart,” “The Colbert Report,” “The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson” and many others.

She has given frequent commentary on NBC, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, FOX and CNN. She lives in Concord, Mass., with her husband Richard N. Goodwin, who are both die-hard Red Sox fans; she was first female journalist to enter the Red Sox locker rooms.

This is a free public event, which UNH has been generous enough to support with a venue. The tickets can be found at universitytickets.com, which will allow entrance to the lecture.