Student body election endorsement: Exemplary leadership skills

To the student body,            

With the coming end of the academic year is another round of elections for student body president, vice president, and Trustee. As a member of Student Senate, Senate’s interim historian, and as a teaching assistant for various departments on campus, I feel that it is important to keep in mind the best person to represent the University of New Hampshire when we vote for these positions. As such, I want to take the time to endorse Carley Rotenberg and Alexandra Burroughs for SBP and SBVP.

I have worked with Carley over the past year in Student Senate and she has proven to be one of the most capable members I’ve ever had the pleasure of working with. She is empathic to student needs, effective at implementing change, works well with UNH administration, and has displayed her exemplary leadership skills as both the current Student Body Vice President and as a member of ROTC. These traits are necessary for a capable Student Body President. Alex expresses these traits as well, especially in regards to an understanding the needs of the student body. She has always worked well with people due to her ability to understand the full scope of any situation. Carley and Alex complement each other well and are, easily, the most experienced ticket currently running.

For myself, the candidates’ abilities to work well with the administration along with their understanding of issues facing students, are some the most important traits they have expressed in the time that I have known them. This ensures that administration will take them seriously, that their ideas will be taken into proper consideration, ensures that there will be change for the better when the student body is seeking changes at UNH, and means that they will address concerns of the student body with all the resources available to them. Working with administration, in particular, is an area that past student body presidents have had difficulty with an area that ended up negatively affecting their term, something I do not have to worry about with the ticket I am supporting.

While I appreciate and respect the other tickets, we do not have to wonder with Carley and Alex if their term will result in the strain that commonly results from trying to work effectively with both the student body and UNH administrators. Both Carley and Alex have always walked that tightrope with skill and finesse. It is for their effective leadership skills and vast experience that I declare my endorsement for the Rotenberg/Burroughs Ticket.

Tyler Anderson

Interim Student Senate Historian