SCOPE: ‘Stoopid’ fall concert

By Cole Caviston, Staff Writer

The Student Committee on Popular Entertainment (SCOPE) has booked the band Slightly Stoopid for this year’s UNH Fall Concert, which will be held Nov. 15 in the Whittemore Center.

The announcement came through a video posted on Thursday, Oct. 16 to SCOPE’s Facebook Event page at 12:27 p.m. Another announcement was made that day on SCOPE’s Twitter account.

The San Diego-based group is known for its eclectic musical style and influences, ranging from rock, hip-hop, funk and its emphasis for reggae. Since 1996, they have released 10 albums, including three live concert performances.

Slightly Stoopid’s musical reputation is a noticeable break from past-booked performances by well-publicized rock bands, hip hop and rap artists, a choice that SCOPE publicity director Christina Merrill said was deliberate.

“I would definitely say that is something new. In the past, we’ve invited rap and hip hop artists, but people this year were requesting something different,” Merrill said. “Bringing in a new genre of music will make sure their voices are heard.”

While Slightly Stoopid was not SCOPE’s first choice to headline the Fall Concert, the band came recommended from a talent agent who is a UNH alum, whom SCOPE has worked with for booking musical artists. According to Merrill, SCOPE wanted to end the last semester of the year on a high note.

“It would fit into the scheme of the year perfectly and leave us with a lot of options for the spring,” Merrill said.

While reception among student commenters on the SCOPE’s Facebook Event page has been mixed, Merrill said that she was “pleasantly surprised” by the support it has received.

“We were all expecting a lot of negative feedback,” Merrill said. “There was initial blowback to the announcement, but later a lot of people began to show support.”

Merrill is also positive that this year’s concert will be easier to market than last year’s concert that featured rap artist Nelly, which attracted an audience of 3,900, because of the established fan-base the group has.

“Even though an artist like Nelly is more well-known, there’s more of niche for Slightly Stoopid, as well as more non-student awareness,” Merrill said.

To capitalize on this fandom, SCOPE’s social media campaign will push off-campus advertising, as well as standard marketing practices like quarter sheet handouts and free-ticket events.

Tickets for the concert will go sale on Oct. 23 starting at 8 a.m. The Student Floor tickets cost $25, the Guest Floor tickets $35, the Student Bowl tickets $15 and the Non-Student Bowl tickets $25.