Mulligan, Doolin lead ‘Cats to win over Bowling Green State

The UNH gymnastics team continued its hot stretch on Saturday afternoon during the dual-meet in Bowling Green, Ohio as their domination on the bars helped them defeat the Bowling Green State Falcons, 194.700-193.850.

The Falcons outscored the Wildcats in the floor routine, balance beam and vault but behind sophomores Danielle Mulligan and Danielle Doolin the ‘Cats were able to win the event with an impressive showing on the uneven bars. BGSU scored a 47.075 on the bars as they had two gymnasts finish with individual scores above 9.500. Meanwhile, UNH had four such gymnasts; Mulligan, Doolin, senior Jennifer King and freshman Ava Watkins. Mulligan won the event for the fifth consecutive meet with her individual score of 9.825 on the bars.

The Wildcats also had the highest individual score on the floor and balance beam as junior Casey Lauter tied a career-high on the beam with a score of 9.875. The beam was the final event for the ‘Cats and Lauter’s performance was essential for UNH to pull out the victory.

Once again, Doolin was the only Wildcat, or Falcon, to appear in all four events and finished in first place with a score of 9.850 on the floor exercise. It was the second time this season Doolin finished first in the floor exercise and was her best score on the floor since Jan. 21, when she scored a 9.900 at home against the University of Pittsburgh and Southern Connecticut State University.

The Falcons narrowly outscored the ‘Cats by a combined 0.250 in the vault, balance beam and floor exercise and were outscored 1.100 on the uneven bars. UNH did well to stay close in the other three events with BGSU and Doolin’s all-around performance was a big reason why.

Senior Meghan Pflieger also had a big afternoon for the Wildcats, as she was the team’s top performer on the vault with a score of 9.825. Pflieger also held her own on the balance beam and floor exercise as she scored a 9.800 and 9.625, respectively. Junior Lia Breeden tied Pflieger’s output on the balance beam to help guide UNH to victory.

UNH improves to 10-2 overall with a 2-1 record in conference play as they gear up for a big conference meet this week.

Next week the Wildcats will travel to Chapel Hill, North Carolina on Friday, Feb. 17 to take on the University of North Carolina Tar Heels in an East Atlantic Gymnastics League dual-meet at 7 p.m.

Then, UNH has a quick turn around, as on Sunday, Feb. 19 they will host Temple University at Lundholm Gymnasium at 2 p.m. in the “Stick it to the Cure” dual meet with the Owls to help raise breast cancer awareness.