‘Cats win 12 straight, hold firm lead atop America East

The UNH Wildcats have caught fire and, after another comeback win, a 60-50 victory over the University of Maryland-Baltimore County Retrievers, the ‘Cats have extended their winning streak to 12.

Junior Kat Fogarty led the Wildcats, notching 12 points and 11 rebounds. Fellow classmate and forward Carlie Pogue tallied 16 points.

Junior guards Aliza Simpson and Olivia Healy combined for 20 points and 10 rebounds. The ‘Cats shot 39 percent from the field and went 6-17 for a 35 percent three-point field goal percentage.

The Wildcats have matched last year’s entire win total during this 12 game win streak and already have more wins this season (18) than they did in each of the last two years.

After starting the season 1-2, the Wildcats have gone on an unprecedented 17-1 run and have won 12 games in a row. This win streak has even more meaning as UNH is 8-0 in conference play sitting atop the America East standings with a comfortable three-game lead over Hartford, Albany and Binghamton, whom are all tied for second at 5-3.

Junior forward Carlie Pogue scored 16 points in the 60-50 victory over UMBC on Saturday.

The Wildcats defeated Albany by 13, Binghamton by eight and Hartford by eight in their first meeting with each team. UNH has never won the America East and never advanced to the NCAA tournament, but the recent sucess of the Wildcats proves to be a strong campaign for a championship run. The strong junior class of Fogarty, Pogue, Simpson and Brittni Lai gained another member with the addition of University of Richmond transfer, Olivia Healy over the semester break.

Healy has played seven games with her new squad, averaging 11 points a game and 29 minutes a game. Healy adds another threat to this potent New Hampshire offense giving opposing defenses another Wildcat to worry about.

Forwards Pogue and Fogarty are averaging 15 and 11 points a game this season, respectively. Lai has been leading the ‘Cats in minutes played, playing in 34 of 40 minutes per game. The dominance of the front court during conference play has been a major contributor to the ‘Cats’ historic success thus far this season. The ‘Cats will face Albany and Hartford on the road in their second meetings in the coming weeks, two important matchups that will have America East playoff implications at stake.