Maiden Harmony hosts annual Fight Like a Wildcat fundraiser H

Maiden Harmony, a UNH all-female a cappella group, hosted their third annual Fight Like a Wildcat fundraiser for the Breast Cancer Research Foundation on Saturday, Nov. 5, 2-4 p.m. in Murkland Hall. Maiden Harmony has been teaming with this foundation consistently since they first created the Fight Like a Wildcat event in 2014.14971442_1549127298434613_1149260822_n-copy

“With a lot of charities, you don’t know exactly where the money is going,” UNH junior human development and family studies major and Maiden Harmony President Rachel Ward said.  “[The Breast Cancer Research Foundation takes] the majority of the money and [puts] it to good use.”14958351_1549127301767946_1698069289_n-copy

UNH a cappella groups including Off the Clef, Not Too Sharp, Alabaster Blue, the NH Notables and Maiden Harmony, as well as the University of Vermont Topcats all took the stage, which was appropriately decorated with pink and white ribbons and balloons to support the cause.  

The Topcats have travelled from Vermont for the events for the past three years. This year, barefoot and donning suits, they performed “Who Knows Who Cares” by the Local Natives, “Crazy” by Gnarls Barkley, “The Wind Cries Mary” by Jimmy Hendrix and “Back Pocket” by Vulfpeck. Other than Maiden Harmony and the Topcats, eacgroup performed two songs. 14958857_1549127341767942_1529946718_n-copy Tickets to the event were $5. Maiden Harmony t-shirts were also sold at the door for $15. Food and refreshments were offered during intermission for free, but donations were greatly appreciated. All proceeds from the event went to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.  

Upon entry, attendees were given raffle tickets to drop into the bag of their choice. Prizes were donated from local businesses, such as UNH t-shirts from Hayden Sports, coupons for Durham House of Pizza and Subway, and the most sought-after prize, a $25 gift card to Libby’s Bar and Grill. Maiden Harmony founder Jennifer DeLucia donated leggings from LuLaRoe, where she works now, to the raffle. Tickets were drawn and prizes were collected after the show.  14971278_1549127305101279_107141479_n-copy 

DeLucia said that she started Maiden Harmony in 2004 hoping to “help make UNH know great a cappella.” DeLucia was formerly a member of the NH Notables, but, according to Maiden Harmony’s Wildcatlink, she “was concerned that with only one all-female group on campus, there was not enough opportunity for UNH’s female singers to make a cappella part of their college careers.”  

14958455_1549127355101274_363245837_n-copyMaiden Harmony concluded the show with their performance of “Follow Me” by Uncle Cracker, “Young Volcanoes” by Fall Out Boy, “Rock Bottom” by Hailee Steinfeld, and a Taylor Swift mashup, but it was apparent that there was no “bad blood” between a cappella groups as cheers erupted from the back of the room, where the groups sat together.

“The a cappella community in general has gotten tighter over the past couple of years,” Ward said.