SCOPE announces fall concert

Main performances by hip-hop artists Lil Uzi Vert, Joey Bada$$ and opening with Aminé

The Student Committee On Popular Entertainment (SCOPE) is excited to present their first co-headlining show, featuring hit hip-hop artists Lil Uzi Vert and Joey Bada$$, with an opening performance by Aminé.

“We are super pumped for our Lil Uzi Vert, Joey Bada$$ and Aminé show,” SCOPE Executive Director of Publicity Caitlin Meaney said. “The artists we consider are a direct result of what campus has shown interest in, what music is ‘hot’ right now, and what artist is at their peak point to bring to campus at the moment.”

Lil Uzi Vert is an American rapper and songwriter, gaining fame after releasing his debut single, “Money Longer.” With a total of five mixtapes under his belt within the past couple of years, Lil Uzi Vert is a hip-hop force to be reckoned with.

Joey Bada$$’ rise to fame is credited to his debut mixtape, “1999,” released in 2012. Influenced by 90s hip-hop heavy weights such as Tupac Shakur, Nas and The Notorious B.I.G., Joey Bada$$ has risen in the ranks of modern hip-hop with impressive wordplay, flow and reinforcing presence for greatness.

Aminé is an up-and-coming rapper from Portland, Oregon. New to the hip-hop scene, Aminé has already established a following with his self-directed video “Caroline,” filmed in his hometown of Portland, Oregon.

Even with SCOPE’s carefully planned decision and vote for this semester’s musician, their announcement for the fall concert was met with a wide range of mixed reviews from the general UNH student body.

“Who even are they?” junior psychology major Emily Orrico said.

“I have no idea who they are,” junior mechanical engineering major Reed Dannar said. “But I trust that it’ll be a decent concert based upon SCOPE’s past concerts.”

Many students gave similar reactions of not knowing who these musicians were. With such a vastness of modern hip-hop artists sprouting up left and right, it is understandable not being up to speed with mainstream music. However, students also expressed negative feelings toward this choice of musicians.

“I wish there was more variety in our concerts,” junior family studies major Alex Kelley said. “Something fun to sing along to.”

“I’m not feeling good about it,” junior family studies major Brett Graceffa said. “I wish it wasn’t another stupid rapper.”

On the other side of the spectrum, students were very excited about SCOPE’s announcement.

“I think it’s sick. He’s on the up-and-up [Lil Uzi Vert], all of his mixtapes have been successful,” junior finance and info system major Derek Fischer said. “Joey Bada$$ is a good rapper. He’s lyrically talented, with meaning behind his words.”

“Oh. My. God. I love Uzi,” sophomore Abygail Meeks said excitedly. “I literally mentioned to my friend how cool it would be if Uzi came, then 20 minutes later, SCOPE made my wish come true.”

SCOPE’s fall concert will be held on Thursday, Nov. 19. If you are a fan of any of these artists or hip-hop in general, the energy and excitement will be through the roof, promising a fun and memorable evening, full of hot beats and lyrically charged tunes.

“For a lack of a better word, it will be lit,” sophomore finance major Justin Cate said.