‘Cats finish road trip with conference victories

America East conference play continued this weekend as the UNH volleyball team finished their road regular season schedule against Stony Brook Univeristy and the University of Maryland Baltimore County. UNH finished their final road test with a weekend sweep, winning both matches 3-1.

On Friday, Oct. 28 the ‘Cats travelled to Stony Brook, where after splitting the first two sets, they went on to win the final two sets to extend their winning streak to three matches.

Sunday’s match at UMBC marked another career milestone for head coach Jill Hirschinger as she won her 750th match at the helm of UNH.

“I’ve really enjoyed working with this team and getting to know each player,” Hirschinger said.

Always soft spoken about herself, Hirschinger shined light on her team’s play.

“It was a great weekend ending our eight match road streak,” Hirschinger said.

At Stony Brook, senior Demi Muses recorded her tenth double-double of the season with 20 kills and 16 digs. This is her fifth double-double in the past six games. Freshman Kennedi Smith tallied 13 kills and senior Keelin Severtson added 48 assists.

“[Muses] had another great weekend for us offensively, and defensively. [Severtson] distributed the ball well throughout the weekend,” Hirschinger said.

Sunday was more of the same for the Wildcats as they also defeated their opponent, UMBC, three sets to one. This was the second straight match for the Wildcats winning in four sets and the second time they did so against UMBC.

Muses and sophomore Gabri Olhava led the match in kills, scoring 17 and 15 respectively. Freshman Emily Tanski added nine kills and four aces, which were a match high.

UNH took the first set winning 25-16. UMBC bounced back as they extended the second set against the ‘Cats and outlasted them to win 29-27. UNH found their rhythm once again and cruised in sets three and four, 25-16 and 25-20, to win the match.

UNH improves their record to 15-10, and have won four straight matches. Hirschinger constantly preaches how important every point, set and match is this late in the season and the ‘Cats showed this weekend how to remain poised in crunch time.

After eight straight games on the road, UNH returns home to finish their season with four America East games. With their destiny in their own hands, UNH can take the number one seed in the conference tournament, currently sitting alone in second.

With a strong finish to the weekend and a career milestone accomplished, the Wildcats are building momentum heading into the end of the season. Through the success however, Hirschinger stays humble and focused

“Career milestones are a wonderful way to tribute the players and teams I have had in the past and present. We’re looking ahead and working towards the most important one: the next one,” Hirschinger said.

UNH hosts the University of Massachusetts Lowell on Nov. 2 at Lundholm Gymnasium at 7 p.m.