A first year student's guide to the Arts at UNH

11221406_10205535806975344_1011727916476852893_n
Talia Pepin/contributing 

Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 11.15.39 AMHey gang, it’s your friendly neighborhood Arts editor here. On behalf of TNH Arts, I’d like to welcome you all one more time to our beautiful campus where you will spend the next four years living, learning and having so much fun! Keep an eye out for the Arts every Thursday this year for the lowdown on the scene around Durham, and enjoy our First Year Student Guide to the Arts at UNH.

Music

Open Mics: Aspiring musicians here at UNH can showcase their talents at various open mic nights across campus. The Freedom Cafe, adjacent to the Mill Road Visitor Lot, hosts weekly open mics, and the Campus Activities Board’s “The Grind” turns the MUB Entertainment Center into a coffee shop for their once-monthly open mic. The first Grind of the fall semester is scheduled for Friday, October 7 at 8 p.m. and all talent is welcome.

WUNH: 91.3FM WUNH is UNH’s own, student operated radio station. Broadcasting from the first floor of the MUB 24 hours a day, WUNH is run by a dedicated group of student DJs and administrators. Tune in to 91.3FM or stream live at wunh.org for a variety of fresh music and UNH sports news, or join the WUNH team to learn more about radio broadcasting and get the chance to host your own show.

SCOPE: The Student Committee On Popular Entertainment, or SCOPE, is responsible for bringing a few big-name concerts to UNH every year. In the past few years, SCOPE has sponsored concerts by Kendrick Lamar, Lee Brice and Kygo, among others. Keep an eye out for news about SCOPE concerts, or drop by their office in MUB 140 to get involved.

Muso: Like SCOPE, the Memorial Union Student Organization (MUSO) brings events to campus for students to enjoy. In addition to bringing alternative and up-and-coming musical acts to perform, MUSO hosts open mics and lectures, and sponsors weekly movies in the MUB Theaters. MUSO meets on Tuesday nights at 9 p.m. in MUB 203, and all are welcome to get involved.

UNH EnsemblesUNH’s classically-trained musicians can find their home as a part of any of the ensembles here on campus. Whether you’re hoping to lend your voice to the concert choir or hype up hockey game crowds as a part of the Beast of the East Pep Band,  UNH has an ensemble for you. Check out cola.unh.edu/music/ensembles for more information.

A Capella: UNH is home to a variety of a capella groups, both all-male/female and coed. All UNH a cappella groups will start the year off with a performance during Jukebox in the MUB on Saturday at 7 p.m. Information on audition times and places for all the groups will be announce during the individual performances.

Theater and Dance

UNH Dept. of Theater and Dance

UNH’s Department of Theater and Dance offers ample opportunities for students to get on stage.  Auditions for the UNH Dance Company and theater productions throughout the year are open to all students, regardless of major.

Upcoming Auditions:

“Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson” auditions will be held on Monday, August 29, at 6 p.m. at the Hennessy Theater  in the Paul Creative Arts Center (PCAC).

“A Man’s World” auditions will be held on Monday, August 29, at 6 p.m. at the Hennessy Theater in the PCAC.

Auditions for the UNH Dance Company will take place September 8-9, starting at 5 p.m.

More information about these auditions and auditions throughout the year can be found online at cola.unh.edu/theater-dance.

Student Organizations

Mask and Dagger Dramatic Society: UNH’s student-run theater group, in which students design, direct, act and produce theatrical performances throughout the year. The Mask and Dagger office is located in MUB 12D.

Improv AnonymousUNH’s improv comedy troupe, Improv Anonymous performs in the MUB Entertainment Center at 9 p.m. every Thursday night throughout the semester. The group shares their office space in MUB 12D with Mask and Dagger.

Sketched Out: UNH’s sketch comedy group, Sketched Out writes and performs all original comedy skits. Their first show of the semester is scheduled for September 28 at 8 p.m. in the MUB Entertainment Center.

Hep Cats Swing Dance Club:  The Hep Cats Swing Dance Club welcomes students to come and learn more about this popular form of dance. The group hosts several dances throughout the year, and meets in the MUB Wildcat Den every Tuesday from 6-8 p.m. and every Sunday from 4-6 p.m.

Sisters in Step: Sisters in Step is UNH’s all-female hip hop and step dance team. Auditions are held early in the semester; be on the lookout for more information on their Facebook page.

UNH Dance team: The UNH Dance Team performs at most home football and basketball games. Check the team’s Facebook page for more information on their September 3-4 auditions.

Visual Arts 

UNH Dept. of Art and Art History: UNH’s Department of Art and Art History offers classes ranging from drawing and painting to photography, puppetry and sculpture. Most courses are open for all students to explore their artistic talents, and have the added benefit of taking care of the Fine and Performing Art Discovery requirement. Check out course listings online at cola.unh.edu/art-and-art-history/courses, and be sure to swing into the UNH Museum of Art inside the Paul Creative Arts Center for various exhibits throughout the year.