'My heart is full because of WUNH'

wunhweb
From left to right: Brian Dunn, Ben Nawn and Parker Wheeler announce a hockey game.

Why should you join WUNH? The best way to answer this question is to tell you my story, and how WUNH has changed my life.

I remember it like it was yesterday. I walked into my first class at UNH and this senior came in all high and mighty to talk to the class about joining the local radio station on campus entitled 91.3 FM WUNH Durham. His name was Cameron Close and he was looking for some energetic guys to join the sports department. At that moment in time, I knew I had my calling card. Later that day, I remember pacing amongst the sixth floor of Christensen Hall debating whether I should call him or not. Being a first year student, I was worried about classes and getting in a routine. Yet, I had this notion that getting invested with an extracurricular activity was smart. It could open the door to a path I’ve dreamt about since I was young kid. Also, I knew I would make more friends. So, I called him.

A week went by after I got in touch with Mr. Close. I was able to enjoy my first weekend, but I kept my eye on the prize. For someone who talks sports 24/7, my anxiety went through the roof as I kept hoping for an opportunity. “No Nawnsense,” was the DJ name I knew had to be used. It had a nice flow to it.

Thursday night came about. My friends were having people over that night and I was planning on going out really early, until Mr. Close called and asked if I would like to drop by the show “Wildchats” that night from 6-8 p.m. I obviously said yes and before I knew it, I was making my way downtown into the Memorial Union Building also known as the MUB.

As I approached the WUNH radio station in the first level of the MUB, my heart was pounding. At that moment when I put on the headset to listen to Cam and the rest of his staff, I knew this was my rock. It was the place to be and I knew going in that night. Well, my fellow Wildcats, I can tell you this as I prepare for this upcoming year, what once was an inspired young freshman is now a determined leader and advocate of the program. I was elected sports director back in the spring after spending the year under the guidance of Parker Wheeler. First and foremost, Wheeler brought me to reality. He showed me the ways Mr. Close showed him before me, but more importantly, how to broadcast UNH Hockey and more.

WUNH not only offers you the chance to talk sports. WUNH makes you excel at perfecting your craft. I dreamed of becoming a play-by-play broadcaster as a kid playing video games and turning the sound down so I could take over. The reality has set in that I could very well make this a career some day. WUNH has helped me work on my mistakes and has given me confidence to believe in that goal. Through the various games I have broadcasted, my resume and portfolio has become more advanced. The connections I have made continue to grow. If you want to go down the path of broadcasting and media relations, then the 91.3 FM WUNH Durham sports department is the place to be.

It won’t be easy, and it will take time to get more comfortable in front of the mic. Broadcasting may not be for everyone. It does not matter. If you talk sports regularly then I whole-heartedly believe that being on one of the three Wildchat shows is the right choice for you.