Women’s Rookie of the Year-Ashley Storey: Basketball

In a game in late January against the University of Hartford, UNH co-captain Corinne Coia was sidelined for the rest of the game and eventually the remainder of the season because of a knee injury. The Wildcats lost a veteran presence in the paint and needed players to step up. Freshman Ashley Storey provided the ‘Cats the dominant frontcourt presence they needed for the rest of the year, and showed promise for the future.

Storey led the way inside for the 17 games she started this winter. She led the team in field goal percentage, shooting 49 percent from the field. The young post player impressed her team with her passing ability. Assistant coach Brendan Copes complimented Storey all year long on her ability to find open teammates and move the ball quickly.

In her first few games, she was a pass-first player rather than a shot taker. It wasn’t until a tilt against America East rival Binghamton on Feb. 6 when Storey started to light up the scoreboard. As she worked her shots and moves inside, she led the game with 22 points. In the following game against the Stony Brook Seawolves, she once again led the ‘Cats in scoring with 14 points.

It was considered her breakout game. Storey earned America East Rookie of the Week honors that week and solidified herself in a starting role as a key part of the UNH offense. With Elizabeth Belanger attracting most of the attention from the opponent, the one-two punch of Storey and fellow post player Carlie Pogue balanced the ‘Cats’ scoring.

Storey was named to the America East All-Rookie Team for the season, and was named America East Rookie of the Week twice (Feb. 8, Feb. 22). Storey’s offensive production late in the season showed promise for the Wildcats’ future. The freshman seemed to provide more firepower to an already young-returning team next winter. The Cumberland, Maine native will have three more years to improve her game in hopes to lead the Wildcats to their first America East Championship in program history.