UACC holds walk-in workshop

With graduation right around the corner, many UNH seniors are working hard to find the jobs and internships they want. To help these students out, the University Advising and Career Center (UACC) held a walk-in workshop this week aimed to help students hone their job search strategies.

“Having someone there to bounce ideas off of can be a very helpful and empowering thing,” UACC counselor and human resources business partner Patricia McCabe said. “On top of résumé and cover letter advice, we can help students identify the right places to look when conducting a job search.”

McCabe said that in a typical one-on-one workshop, she would begin by reviewing the student’s résumé, cover letter and LinkedIn profile and would offer advice for improvement. Next, there would be a discussion of the student’s skill set and the primary focus of their education to identify the most appropriate job fields. The session would conclude with a mock job search and a tour through company websites, advanced LinkedIn search functions and recruiter webpages.

“All of the advisors I’ve met with have been extremely knowledgeable,” senior marketing major Dan Delgrosso said. “A lot of them have worked as recruiters so they know exactly what hiring companies look for in a student’s resume.”

Seniors graduating next month may be moving on from UNH, but this won’t be the last time they hear from the university’s career center.

“In August, we will send out an email to students who just graduated asking where they landed,” McCabe said. “It’s called the First Destination Survey and once we compile all of the results… we make it publically available.”

According to the UACC website, the First Destination Survey will ask the class of 2016 whether they have secured employment, are still job searching, have been accepted to a graduate program or have made any other plans. The survey was created to showcase the successes of graduates and also to “help inspire future Wildcats.” 

“I look forward to taking the survey,” senior biology major Evan Feldman said. “A lot of my friends wouldn’t have jobs without the assistance of some UNH alumni… I hope I can be of help to [an undergraduate] at some point in the future.”

The Career Crunch Time Workshops have ended, but students looking for some career guidance can still make appointments with advisors throughout the rest of April and May.