UNH applications top 20,000 for upcoming 2016-2017 academic year

Every year thousands of high school seniors apply to UNH, except this year the university received a record-breaking 20,000 applications for the fall 2016 semester, nearly 1,000 more than last semester.

“Annual increases in applications are an affirmation that the university does many things very well that speak to prospective students and enables students to see value and benefits in a UNH education,” UNH Admissions Director Robert McGann said.

Reaching more than 20,000 applications carries more value than just being a record-breaking number; it symbolizes an increase in high school graduates in areas where UNH historically enrolls students. In addition to that, the annual increase in applications is an affirmation that UNH is appealing to prospective students, enabling them to see all the benefits and the value of an education at the university.

McGann believes that prospective students see great value in all the engaging experiences, great academic programs and extracurricular opportunities that the university has to offer, as well as the sense of community between students, faculty and staff. It is in these communities where students are not only supported and encouraged, but also challenged to do their best.

“It is these experiences that connect with future students and result in more applications being submitted to UNH each year,” McGann said. 

There are several factors that could be playing a role in the reasons for the increased interest in the university. Intensifying the spotlight on UNH is its nationally ranked football team and hosting of a nationally-televised presidential primary debate in February. Additionally, UNH has renovated facilities all across campus and is in the process of renovating  Hamilton Smith Hall; one of the university’s signature buildings. UNH is also opening a new football stadium, building a recreational swimming facility and expanding on fitness facilities.

With the increase in demand to become a UNH Wildcat among talented prospective students, there will be an increase in the academic, co-curricular and extra-curricular profile of UNH students. Yet, despite more students applying, the number of accepted students is still the same as it was last year. Overall, reaching over 20,000 applications is nothing but a good sign.

“This means that UNH is healthy,” McGann said, “and possesses a reputation that is supported by student experiences that prospective students, families and school counselors believe to be exciting and compelling.”