Nourish UNH sponsors its 3rd annual Nutrition Expo

According to EatRight.Org March is considered the ‘Nutritional Month,’ and UNH celebrated the occasion with its third annual Nutrition Expo on March 31. At the expo,  students, faculty, and other Durham residents had the option to explore the nutrition services available here at UNH and the Durham community. Located in the Granite State Room of the MUB, the Expo was thriving on Thursday with people interacting with informational tables, games and raffles, and free food samples.

Sponsored by Nourish UNH, a health services nutrition peer education group, the UNH Nutrition Expo is an annual event that helps provide a “diversity of information about the different foods and other great nutrition options available in Durham,” said wellness intern for Health Services Stephanie Schmeltzer.

Some of those great nutritional information options were available at the various tables that were compacted in the Granite State Room. Such tables included UNH organizations, programs and clubs like Women’s Studies, Campus Rec, Outing Club, and American Red Cross Club. Durham businesses like The Juicery, and Young’s Restaurant, were also involved in the Expo, handing out food samples, fresh fruit, and juice samples.

Tasting one of the small cups of green juice and holding a piece of fresh fruit, UNH senior Daniel Stevens walked around the Granite State Room, enthusiastically learning and appreciating the information on the food industry. “I didn’t know that there were this many food based organizations on campus,” said Stevens. “I like that it teaches everyone about sustainability and where we are in the food chain.”

“It’s interesting because we can learn about how far back our food goes,” said the zoology major, “just like chocolate in a factory…we want to know where our food comes from and this is a perfect event to learn about all of this.” Stevens mentioned his appreciation for the local businesses and restaurants and their efforts to provide products that are locally grown. 

Like Stevens, many individuals from Durham businesses expressed interest in the idea of sustainability and more efficient ways to ‘Go Green’ for foods. Among them was Young’s Restaurant owner, Ken Young who was proudly standing behind his ‘Green Giant’ 2013 Award and serving guests samples of chips and salsa and French toast, all of which attracted many people due to the delicious smell.

“This Expo is a great way to connect with students and listen to what they have to say and what they want, which will ultimately help us make ourselves better at the restaurant,” Young said. “I want to get the message out that things are changing for the better in the food industry.”

“We are starting to work on adding super foods, which are more nutritional options, to our menu,” Young said, “and what a better way than to have students sample some of it right here.”

During the summer months, all of the produce that is served at Young’s Restaurant, according to Young, is locally grown in his own backyard, and he is working on bettering his organic practices to satisfy his customers.