‘Cats upended by UMass

After a hot start, the Wildcats were cooled off in Amherst, Massachusetts against the Minutemen.

Although goaltender Kate Clancy matched her career-high with 12 saves, Clancy’s effort was not enough to pull out a win on the road. The Wildcats let seven goals go unanswered, resulting in a 16-4 loss to UMass. The loss evened the team’s record at 1-1.

It was a high-scoring first half, with 11 goals scored in total. UNH took the first lead of the game off of a goal from Carly Wooters 1 minute, 56 seconds into the game. It is Wooters’ second goal of the season.

The Minutemen opened the floodgates as Erika Eipp, Eileen McDonald, and Nicole Troost tallied goals on Clancy to make it a 4-1 deficit for UNH midway through the first half. Teagan Northrup scored her first goal of the season to bring UNH back to within two. Wooters added another score, but the teams ended the first half with UNH trailing 8-3.

Wildcat midfielder Devan Miller kept UNH within reach by making it a 9-4 game after another goal from UMass attacker McDonald.

Unfortunately, four goals was all the Wildcats could muster, and the Minutemen took over the game. The Wildcats struggled to generate quality scoring chances and UMass made the team pay by tallying seven unanswered goals to finish the game with a 16-4 final, handing UNH its first loss of the season.

The Wildcats had their hands full with the Minutemen offense, which posted 28 shots on goal from 37 total shots. UMass also forced UNH to commit 20 turnovers, stymieing the UNH offense.

The Wildcats are back in action on Tuesday against Dartmouth. It will be the first matchup against the Big Green since 2014 and will begin at 3 p.m.