UNH student held at gunpoint during armed robbery

The house at 8 Madbury Court, which was reported to have been robbed by men with guns.

Staff Writer

By Hadley Barndollar

Staff Writer

Just two days after the Thanksgiving holiday, UNH student Bryan Hochberg had a gun held to the back of his head in his Madbury Court house.

Durham Police were dispatched to 8 Madbury Court at approximately 10:22 p.m. on Saturday Nov. 28 after a reported armed robbery, according to Deputy Chief Rene Kelley.

Hochberg had returned home from work to find three armed and masked men inside. All three suspects reportedly carried handguns and threatened Hochberg. The three men took Hochberg around the house, kicking in bedroom doors and stealing items of value, he said.

In an interview with WMUR, Hochberg told reporters the men had him lay on his stomach in the living room. After nearly 40 minutes of “ransacking” the house, Hochberg realized they had fled the property, where he then ran to a downtown Durham bar to get help. Hochberg’s roommates had gone downtown earlier that night.

The suspects stole electronics and jewelry before fleeing the residency, Kelley said. Laptops, watches and X-boxes were among some of the stolen items.

Suspect No. 1 is described as a white male, 5’10”, medium build and wearing a dark jacket. Suspect No. 2 is described as a white male, 6’1”, medium build, wearing a dark jacket, blue jeans and tan work boots. Suspect No. 3 is described as a black male, 5’10”, medium build, and wearing a dark jacket.

Hochberg and his five roommates believe the perpetrators may have attended a party at their house at one point, making them familiar with the property, according to NH1 News.

The incident is currently under “active investigation” and any persons with information are encouraged to call the Durham Police Department at 603-868-2324, said Kelley. 

UNH Police and New Hampshire State Police also assisted in the investigation.