Donnelly's Dossier: Fantasy Football Studs and Duds

By SAM DONNELLY

STAFF WRITER

Which pre-season fantasy studs you should and shouldn’t be worried about.

Drew Brees:

Worried

Brees has started off this season with a completion rating of 62 percent, which is the worst he has had in a Saints uniform. Now I’m not saying that it is entirely his fault; his offensive line has let defenses get to him. Brees’ shoulder was clearly in pain last week when he underthrew several receivers. The diagnosis is a bruised rotator cuff, and there is a good chance he will miss a game or two. If I had Brees in my lineup, I would look to trade him, or at least to bench him for now.

Alshon Jeffery:

Not Worried

With Jay Cutler out this week, you might look at this and think I’m crazy… hear me out. Yes, I understand he didn’t play this week. Yes, I understand the Bears now have Jimmy Clausen under center. I have always believed that when a starting quarterback is out, the backup quarterback always looks for his safety blanket. Jeffery is going to be that blanket. He had five catches for 78 yards in week one, but look for him to get more looks with an inexperienced Clausen.

Mike Evans:

Slightly Worried

It’s pretty clear to me that the Buccaneers don’t really know how Evans’ hamstring is feeling. Evans played just around 50 percent of the snaps against the Saints this week and pretty much took a back seat to Vincent Jackson. I am only worried because with young quarterbacks, the most important thing is rhythm with receivers. Clearly Winston and Evans haven’t created that because he has been injured. I’m not saying by any means you should trade or drop a guy like Evans, but keep a close eye on him and if he isn’t 100%, I would move him to my bench for a week.

Lamar Miller:

Worried

Miller had a very solid season last year and many people, including myself, thought he would pick up where he left off. I was wrong. The Dolphins, in all honesty, don’t seem to believe in Miller. He has only 23 rushing attempts through two games and has a dismal average of 2.9 yards per carry. I understand he hurt his ankle last week, but either way I don’t like the way the Dolphins are using him in their offense. I would keep him on my bench for now, but if nothing positive happens by Week 4, I would trade him.

CJ Anderson:

Not Worried

The Broncos have started off the season against two of the premiere run defenses last season in Kansas City and Baltimore. Anderson may only have one more game to prove himself before fantasy owners begin to trade him, but that game is against a Detroit Lions team who lost Ndamukong Suh. He is clearly getting the touches. With 24 rushes at Kansas City, I think the Broncos are trying to get him going. This is the week he needs to prove himself and I think he will. If not, fantasy owners might want to take a look at Ronnie Hillman. Hold onto Anderson this week. If he doesn’t improve bench him or look to trade him.

Demarco Murray: Worried

This is worried with a capital “W”. Murray has 11 rushing yards through two games. That’s right, 11. Eli Manning has 31. I have zero, but perhaps with good blocking I could get 12. This isn’t all Murray’s fault either, which is a big worry for me. The offensive line has struggled and given him nowhere to go. With the Cowboys, Murray didn’t hit initial contact until he was about 2.5 yards down field. This season with the Eagles, that contact is coming slightly behind the line of scrimmage. I don’t care how talented you are, if defenders can get to you behind the line of scrimmage, you won’t succeed. Sam Bradford has also struggled with accuracy, allowing defenses to focus on Murray. I would try and trade him or put him on your bench. Watch him, and if for some reason the Eagles offensive line can figure it out he will start putting up numbers. But for now, he looks helpless in the offense of the ever-stubborn Chip Kelly.