Cat’s Wrap: student sports show on campus

By BRIAN DUNN

SPORTS EDITOR

There’s good news for UNH sports fans, as a weekly, episodic show named ’Cats Wrap premiered on Tuesday, Sept. 15.

Dylan Hand, the creator and founder of the new show, had a vision of creating a fun and new way for the fans to connect to their UNH sports teams.

“I came up with the idea at the end of the summer after interning at NESN,” Hand said, when asked about the inspiration for ‘Cats Wrap. “I learned so much about making good TV, and I wanted to do it myself.”

Stemming from Hand’s recent experience working with the Boston Red Sox, he proposed the idea to the UNH athletic communications team and they were gave him the green light to begin the new project.

“I went to [UNH Associate Athletic Director for Communications Mike Murphy] when I got here and pitched the idea of a student made and student run show covering UNH sports and he and Ben Gilbert [UNH Wildcat Productions Director] both loved the idea and told me to do what I wanted.”

With a great turnout for Hand’s informational session earlier this month, the crew was established and the ‘Cats Wrap vision officially became a reality. Hand quickly went to work on episode one.

‘Cats Wrap is a 15-minute video show, comprised of UNH sports’ highlights, interviews with coaches and key players, and graphics that highlight key statistics. The goal was to give viewers a condensed, appealing recap of each week in Wildcat Country.

“My partner Parker Wheeler and myself have been anchoring it to start, and it’s been a pleasure so far,” junior Ben Nawn said. Nawn works as one of the show’s anchors. “After two weeks it has become a big hit.”

Two episodes of ‘Cats Wrap have already been produced, and premiered online. Much of the process has been successful for Hand and his crew, though the crew recognizes there is still work to be done.

“We have more improvements to be made to make this show even more enjoyable for viewers,” said Nawn.

Hand stresses that student involvement is paramount to the success of ‘Cats Wrap, and encourages any UNH student to get involved in production.

“One thing that is big for me is letting anyone be involved regardless of experience,” said Hand. “There are no other outlets really on campus where kids can work with cameras or anything related to TV broadcasting, so I’ve opened this to anyone who wants to try it out.”

The show is based entirely online, and is tweeted out on Tuesdays by the show’s official Twitter page, @CatsWrapUNH.