UNH DJ makes hobby fun and profitable

By Kaitlin Beauregard

STAFF WRITER

UNH senior, Danny Masterson, has made a name for himself DJing at events across campus over the past few years. The biomedical science major and UNH Baseball second baseman finds time to DJ amongst other commitments on campus and cites his hobby as a way to reduce stress.

Sitting casually and comfortably outside of his freshman dorm, Danny Masterson, now a senior, talks about his unique presence at UNH as a DJ, which started on the second floor of Alexander Hall in 2012. 

Masterson, also known around UNH as DJ Nino, made a quick climb in the social scene by DJing for sports teams, apartment and fraternity parties and university-held events.  But his pastime isn’t only meant to surround himself with the “party scene.” For him, it’s a hobby, form of therapy and a way be involved around campus.

“I never thought that I would even be able to be registered with the university,” said Masterson, who now DJs for events such as the Spring Business Bash Marketing Capstone, where he performed during the spring 2015 semester.  “I was just happy to do it for my own fun.  I never thought I would get paid to do this.”

While first experimenting with this art form three years ago, which mostly consists of heavy bass and a jungle theme, Masterson found a tranquil spin on, well, spinning music.  He has found DJing to be a healthy outlet for dealing with the stress of schoolwork, playing a club sport and managing a social life, on top of everything else.

“Freedom from concern,” is Masterson’s motto, which he passionately follows.

“Just being able to play a track and let people free from their concerns for 15 minutes or even one song is gratifying,” Masterson said. “If I can see two or three people out of 200 who are being affected in a positive way from my music is a tremendous feeling.”

For this Bronx native, biomedical science major and second baseman for the UNH Baseball Team, having so many extra-curricular activities keeps Masterson busy, but he has found a unique balance.

“There have been nights where I’ll play a [baseball] game at 7 p.m., get out, run over to where I’ll do a gig from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. and then wake up at 7 a.m. and play a double-header,” Masterson said.  “The busier I am the happier I am.  I’m totally fine with being occupied and I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

Masterson doesn’t see this quickly-grown passion going anywhere, at least anytime soon.  Although his presence at UNH is very prominent, he hopes to expand his spinning to Portsmouth, Manchester and even Boston.

“I would love to be a DJ during my younger life,” said Masterson, who one day hopes to pursue a career in medical sales and eventually become a physician assistant.  “Bringing people together through music is great.”

Like many UNH wildcats, Masterson has found his niche on campus through academics, baseball and DJing.  As Masterson starts to prepare for graduation and life after UNH, the thought of continuing to affect people with his music is a bright one.

“I would love to have that ability to ‘free people from concern’ with my DJing as much as I can for as long as I can, and just brighten their day.”