Soccer set for Ivy League bout with Harvard

By ANDREW YOURELL

SPORTS EDITOR

The Wildcats head to Cambridge for a matchup with the Harvard Crimson tonight, looking to snap a two-game losing streak. UNH currently holds a 2-3-3 record, while the Crimson are 1-4-1.

The Wildcats offensive attack is led by sophomore Brooke Murphy, who leads the team in goals, with four, and points, with nine. In 709 minutes this season, Murphy, an America East All-Rookie Team and America East All-Conference Second Team selection in 2014, has taken 33 shots, for a .121 shooting percentage. The team average is a .059 percentage, and the rest of the team has taken 102 shots this season, with only two goals.

In games that Murphy scores a goal, the Wildcats are 2-0-1. For the team to successfully defend its America East conference title, UNH will need to diversify its scoring efforts. Harvard’s stingy defense will be a good test for the ‘Cats; the Crimson have two shutouts on the season.

UNH’s defense is lead by junior goalkeeper Mimi Borkan. Borkan has three shutouts of her own this season, with 37 saves and a goal-against-average of 1.17. With her team only scoring six goals this season, it’s of paramount importance that Borkan and the backfield can continue to limit opposing scoring opportunities.

Harvard has only three goals on the season, as they’ve struggled to get good shots off. With such an anemic offense, the ‘Cats should press the attack and seek out ways to score without relying too heavily on Murphy’s talent.

The game is set to begin at 7 p.m. After Harvard, the Wildcats return home to battle Northeastern at 2 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 20. On Sept. 27 the Wildcats play host to the Binghamton Bearcats at Bremner Field to start their America East conference title defense.