Cameron Calato: funniest person on campus

By ALEX KEATING, Contributing Writer

Everyone always has that friend to count on for a good laugh. Whether it’s saying that one joke that goes ever-so-slightly too far, or if it’s acting ludicrous in public, every friend group has that one unanimously voted “funny guy” or “funny girl” superlative. We all have our random moments of what we believe to be comical greatness, but this person never seems to falter. Who is University of New Hampshire’s king of comedy?

Alex Keating/ CONTRIBUTING  Sophomore Cameron Calato won the “Funniest Person on Campus” competition Saturday.
Alex Keating/ CONTRIBUTING

Sophomore Cameron Calato won the “Funniest Person on Campus” competition Saturday.

Laughs filled the nearly-full Strafford room Saturday night as UNH’s Campus Activity Board (CAB) held their annual Funniest Person on Campus event. The event was hosted by Comedian Bryan Morris, who started the night with several jokes and continued to keep the crowd lively between acts. Between eight hilarious student comedians and a spectacular host, it was not a show to be missed.

The event featured eight contestants from UNH, all coming from an assortment of majors and ranging from freshman to senior. Every contestant appeared to win the crowd over, at least in one form or another, all receiving several applauses and roaring laughter. No single contestant ran away with the contest and all eight were competitive, creating a tough decision for the three judges.

The comedians all came in with original and relatable material, creating a refreshing and relaxed environment for the audience. Jokes from the comedians featured topics that were all over the map, such as lamenting the vending machines in the sketchy dorm basements, to being hilarious in the fifth grade for wearing a book cover as a du-rag. Every comedian showed off a unique style and sense of humor, all while staying comfortable and poised on stage. 

Although every single contestant did an extraordinary job performing, one in particular stood out to both the judges and the crowd: Cameron Calato took this year’s title as UNH’s Funniest Person on Campus (FPOC), narrowly beating out second-place finisher Sam Mangano and third-place finisher Kayleigh Kane.

Calato is a 20-year-old sophomore at UNH, and is currently studying history and philosophy. Despite this being just his second time ever doing standup comedy, the Amherst, New Hampshire native was extremely confident and composed in front of the booming college crowd.

When asked about writing his routine for FPOC and how long it took to write it Calato simply replied, “Last night”.

Comedy seemed to come naturally for Calato, smiling ear-to-ear and enjoying the moment after the winner was announced.

He will continue his  reign as Funniest Person at UNH, and should be considered a favorite for next year’s Funniest Person on Campus.