Donald Trump and Joe Biden secure wins in New Hampshire Primary Election

Despite his absence from the ballot, President Joe Biden won the Democratic New Hampshire Primary on Tuesday, and Donald Trump won the Republican Primary.

On January 23, New Hampshire residents gathered at the polls to cast their votes in the presidential primary, leading to a victory for former President Donald Trump, bringing him one step closer to the Republican nomination for the upcoming general election in November. 

According to the Associated Press, the former president won, securing 54.3% of votes in the Republican election. 

According to AP, 67.7% of Durham’s voters nominated Nikki Haley. In the state’s total, Haley received 43.2% of the votes. 

President Joe Biden was missing on the official ballot this year because New Hampshire refused to give up its historic role as the first primary election in the nation after the Democratic National Convention decided to give the title to South Carolina. Despite the president’s absence from the ballot, he won 63.9% of the Democratic vote as a write-in on the ballot.

There was another popular write-in on the ballots this year, but it wasn’t a candidate. Amid the conflict in the Middle East, 1,497 democratic write-in votes called for a ceasefire in Gaza, while another 34 “Ceasefire” write-ins came from the republican ballot. 

Candidates who begin the election season winning nominations from Iowa and New Hampshire often secure the nomination in time for November, meaning the United States could quite possibly expect to see a repeat of the 2020 Presidential Election between Donald Trump and Joe Biden in 2024.