UNH Men’s Hockey: ‘Cats vs. Huskies, What You Need to Know

Courtesy+of+UNH+Athletics.+
Courtesy of UNH Athletics.

DURHAM N.H.- Another jam-packed hockey weekend for the University of New Hampshire (UNH) men’s hockey team will commence this weekend, Nov. 17 and 18.

UNH will be heading to Boston, Massachusetts for the first game of the series against the Northeastern Huskies. Then on Saturday the two teams will travel back up north to the Whittemore Center for their second game of the season there. 

UNH first played Northeastern this season on Oct. 26 when the Huskies were ranked 17 in the nation. The Wildcats won the game 4-1. 

Junior goaltender Jakob Hellsten made his UNH debut in the win, he recorded 15 saves. 

During the game three different Wildcats scored the four goals. 

The first period was scoreless and that did not change until about half way through the second period. 

Junior forward Liam Devlin scored when freshman forward Ryan Conmy sent him a backwards pass from the right side of the goal. Devlin redirected the puck into the net resulting in his second goal of the season. 

The Huskies scored two minutes later off of a slap shot goal from Michael Fisher. 

UNH regained the lead in the third period when sophomore forward Stiven Sardarian shot the puck, got his rebound and slid it right past the goalie. 

Sardarian would increase the lead two minutes later off of a wrist shot from the top of the blue line, assisted by freshman defenseman Brendan Fitzgerald and sophomore forward Kristaps Skrastins. 

With nine minutes left in the period senior defenseman Nikolai Jenson would seal the Huskies’ fate off of a pass from junior forward Connor Sweeney. 

This was the third nationally-ranked win of the season for the Wildcats. Currently, UNH is ranked 13th in the country while the Huskies are unranked. 

The Wildcats will be at Northeastern on Friday, Nov. 17 at 7 p.m. then back at the Whittemore Center at 7 p.m. on Saturday. Both games can be watched on ESPN+.