SCOPE Concert Preview

SCOPE is ready for a change in genre in their third straight show in the Whittemore Center

On October 12, the Student Committee On Popular Entertainment (SCOPE) announced Brett Young, Tyler Rich, and Alana Springsteen as performers for their November 11 concert. 

“We’re pretty excited to see how this show plays out,” said Gloria Tawalujan, SCOPE’s executive director. “Country has consistently been the second most popular genre in our surveys, so we wanted to appeal to a different crowd of fans.”

The first of two opening acts is Alana Springsteen, a Nashville-based singer-songwriter. Springsteen, who began writing songs at the age of 17, just released her first full-length LP in August of this year titled “TWENTY SOMETHING.”

The second opening performer is fellow Nashville-based singer-songwriter Tyler Rich. Rich, whose career began in California, independently released a four-song EP there, “Valerie.” In 2016, he relocated to Nashville and signed to Big Machine Records. The label released his single “The Difference” in 2018, which was certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), and was subsequently included on his debut album, “Two Thousand Miles” in 2020. 

Headlining the concert is Brett Young, another Nashville-based country pop singer, songwriter, and guitar player. Young, who began making music in 2003, after an elbow injury prevented him from pursuing a professional baseball career. He independently released four EPs from 2012 to 2013. After moving to Nashville in 2015 and signing with Big Machine Records, Young released his self-titled debut album in 2017 to critical and commercial success, earning him his first platinum certification from the RIAA. Three more albums followed with “Ticket to L.A.” in 2018, “Weekends Look a Little Different These Days” in 2021, and “Across the Sheets” in 2023.

Young’s most successful songs are “Sleep Without You”, “Like I Loved You”, and “Mercy,” all of which stem from his debut album. They have all received platinum certifications several times over. 

Like all other SCOPE concerts, this is a lengthy process, beginning in June. 

“We compile a huge master list of artists based on our surveys, then we work with our agent to get a quote and see what’s in the budget, and then we hash it out with the whole org,” Tawalujan. 

Tawalujan said that the deliberation process can go on for hours, but once they figure out the artist, “everything just kind of fits into place.”

“We already know how we work in terms of the respective departments,” she said.

The ticketing process remains the same as previous semesters, with online and in-person sales, which began on October 17, and at the time of writing this are still available. Prices are higher than what they were last semester, with student prices being $20 for bowl seats and $32.50 for the floor. Public tickets are $52.50 for bowl seats and $72.50 for the floor. 

“We are just really excited to see how the concert pans out on the tenth, and we are already hard at work on planning for the show in the spring semester, so stay tuned for more info on that,” said Tawalujan.