Fall 2024 Returning Students Application Opens with Some Big Changes

UNH changes distribution of housing facilities and application procedures.
Ryan Malloy
The changes to the UNH housing process are underway as of October.

As previously reported by The New Hampshire, the University of New Hampshire’s housing department sent out an email to students and parents in late August, announcing a drastic change to the on-campus housing requirement that would require all incoming first-year students to live on-campus for four semesters, rather than two. 

This announcement was met with concern on social media, specifically amongst upperclassmen, who were no longer guaranteed housing now that this change had been implemented. In that same email, the housing department stated that they were still working out the definitive details, and that they would be sharing more information at a later date. 

On October 11, the housing department sent out an email to all current, on-campus residents, which housing has dubbed as “returners.” Featuring a slew of new information regarding the application process, the email also includes significant changes to certain residence halls and on-campus apartment complexes.

Gables Towers A and B, and Adams Tower West are now for second-years only, while Gables Tower S will be reserved for students without a housing requirement. Additionally, traditional style rooms in Haaland, Handler, and Peterson Hall will be for new first-year students only, while suite-style rooms will be reserved for returners. Jessie Doe Hall is now a first-year only dorm, and the Honors community is moving from Hubbard Hall to Fairchild Hall. 

Housing also states that if you are a student in one of these halls, and do not meet next year’s criteria to be in that hall, then you will not be able to participate in the renewal process, and will have to apply to a different community. 

Another change this year compared to previous years is that time slots for selecting housing for next year are now completely randomized. This has raised some concern amongst upperclassmen who are seeking on-campus housing for next year, and whether or not they will end up receiving a housing assignment at all. 

However, Director of Housing Andy Petters, wants to reassure students that this won’t be a problem.

For 2024-2025, we have held enough spaces for juniors/seniors throughout campus that is within the range of junior/senior students who have lived in on-campus housing each year over the past 10 years. We anticipate a large amount of space available for rising juniors and seniors that want to live on campus,” said Petters. 

Additionally, Petters wanted to emphasize that “time slots only come into play when determining what rooms will be available at a student’s assigned time slot,” and it should not be a concern for students.

The Housing application for returners remained open until Monday October 30, with room selection beginning on Tuesday November 7.