UNH to hold University Day this Thursday

Main Street will be closed to host many different clubs and organizations, helping students connect with town and college resources.
Jackie Weik
Mo White handing out goodies for the New Hampshire Outing Club at University Day 2022

As students settle into the new year, the University of New Hampshire will hold its annual University Day on Thursday, Sept. 7 from 2:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. on the Thompson and Scott Hall lawns. The event, known to most as “U-Day,” will feature nearly 400 student clubs, organizations, campus departments and businesses, offering students new and old a chance to connect on campus.

“Students will go to a first meeting, go to a first event, kind of test it out, and then they find their people,” said Melissa Beecher, director of the Memorial Union Building and student activities and manager of the event. “This is such an important part about getting involved.” 

The event offers new academic and professional opportunities, a way to socialize and connection with the campus and local community, Beecher said. UNH dining services will also serve hotdogs, hamburgers, and chicken,, and the dining halls will be serving wildcat-themed food all day.

Organizers this year decided to extend the event by one hour and, contrary to years past, hold it on Thursday instead of  Wednesday. Beecher said this is to allow for a fuller day of activities, making it easier to not miss anything and, hopefully, find new interests and passions.

For campus newcomers, Beecher recommended engaging with a wide variety of the diverse groups tabling the event. That way students can gain a better understanding of the resources available to them, she said.

She mentioned UNH’s marching band and the famed UNH mascot Wild E. Cat, who will be making his first ever U-Day appearance, as two things to look out for. 

There will be 10 different paths for students to walk, with groups including school media outlets,  academic departments, and sustainability, among myriad others. 

An online map is available for those interested in getting a sneak peak at the layout, and there will also be paper copies available the day of.

“Whether it’s one thing you choose or four things, there’s a lot here,” Beecher said. “So you can find your spot.”