Senior Farewell: Heidi Krull

Heidi Krull, Staff Writer

Writing has always been the sole thing I wanted to do. I had close to no interest in any other subject, and my grades showed that quite clearly. In high school, when I was struggling though algebra and chemistry classes, I was breezing through AP English classes without a thought. I knew this is what I wanted to pursue, but I didn’t know how.

In my junior year summer in high school, I went to a two-week journalism program in Boston with high school students from around the world. I remember being thrown outside with my peers after being directed to conduct man-on-the-street interviews with Bostonians trying to catch their afternoon trains. As someone who is fairly shy around strangers, this was not my cup of tea. However, I was lucky enough to be surrounded by people who were just as new at this as me. Unsurprisingly, this hardened me quickly since Bostonians aren’t known to be the friendliest people.

Still, I didn’t know what a journalism major at UNH would be like. I felt like an imposter in my first newswriting class during my freshman year. But after a couple of weeks, I started to actually enjoy myself.

I remember covering David Hogg, a well-known activist and Parkland shooting survivor, and being able to ask him questions alongside my peers. The professor, Angela Anderson-Connelly, helped me hone my skills and gave me tips on how to be less nervous during interviews. Although she doesn’t teach at UNH anymore, she was the person who convinced me this major was worth it.

Through COVID, I continued to take journalism classes in different subjects. During sophomore year, I had the opportunity to take investigative reporting with Tom Haines, the journalism department chair, which is when I truly learned the complexities of being a journalist. The class was difficult and I began to doubt myself, but Tom was an incredibly supportive professor and he helped me work through the difficult assignments. In the end, I was able to produce a long-form piece about overfishing in New England.

I didn’t join TNH until my senior year. Before then, I hardly had the time, being in marching band my freshman year and navigating COVID during the following two years. Spring semester this year, though, I had ample time on my hands having already done the major’s required internship experience. Still, I was nervous for my first meeting. But I realized I didn’t need to be as soon as I walked into the room. Everyone was super friendly and welcoming, and I realized it didn’t matter that I was a senior and a newbie all at once.

Throughout the semester, I met some amazing people in TNH and got to write stories I had wanted to write for ages. My editors gave me the opportunity to write TV show and album reviews, which allowed me to express a more artistic side to my writing than I had been able to show in the past. Not only was I consuming content that I enjoyed, but I was finally able to write about this content too. The TNH staff showed me kindness and friendship, even though I had only been there for a single semester.

If I had any regrets about my college experience, the only one would be not joining TNH sooner. Despite my short time here, I am grateful to all the editors, photographers and staff writers who showed me the ropes. The people in this organization are incredibly talented and special individuals. People like them, along with the many professors at UNH that aided me on this journey, made me absolutely positive that journalism was the correct path for me.

Best Wishes,

Heidi Krull