UNH Hosts Second-Annual Earth Day Jam Fest on Great Lawn

Ryan Malloy

Students gathered on the Great Lawn for the second annual Earth Day Jam at UNH. 4/21/23

Sarah Donovan, Content Editor

Earth Day Jam Fest, hosted by the Organic Garden Club (OGC), took place on Great Lawn at the University of New Hampshire (UNH) on April 21. The event was held to advocate for climate action and bring the UNH community together in honor of Earth Day, April 22, 2023.

Ryan Malloy

President of the OGC, Abigail Saltmarsh, said that Earth Day is important to celebrate because “sustainability involves everyone.” As a third-year sustainable agriculture and food systems major, Saltmarsh has been leading the club by educating their new members on the fundamentals of agriculture, in addition to maintenance of their 2-acre Campus-Community Farm, located off Spinney Lane heading towards the dairy farm at UNH. 

Saltmarsh said that the group is very involved with UNH’s other student organizations. Last year was the first official Earth Day celebration at UNH, and this year, Saltmarsh teamed up with a myriad of clubs across campus to hold the second annual Earth Day celebration: the Earth Day Jam Fest. 

Founders of the first UNH Earth Day celebration Briella Hirsch and Gabi Sott returned to UNH’s second Earth Day representing the organization they belong to, the Citizens’ Climate Lobby. The organization is a non-profit, non-partisan advocacy climate institution that addresses national policies regarding the climate crisis. 

Shanti Scott, co-executive director of the Waysmeet Center, said that she showed up for Earth Day because she has a close-knit relationship with the UNH community and wanted to show up to support students. Class of 14’ UNH grad, Scott now works as a Waysmeet director to provide accessible resources to students in transitional stages from the food pantry to intentional residential housing and self-care information sessions.

Nathan Mayback, an intern with the Sustainability Institute, said that they’re “Here to raise awareness about our programs centered around experiential learning,” referencing the Carbon Clinic that gives students the experience to track top businesses’ carbon footprints.

Isabella Dee, a first-year environmental engineering student representing the Sustainability Institute, reflected that showing up for sustainability for Earth Day is really important, but so is being there for one another. 

“I think Earth Day is about appreciation,” said Dee. 

Ryan Malloy

Organic Garden Club; The Facilitator Behind This Year’s Earth Day Jam Fest

The club is student-run and 100% organic. Saltmarsh said one of the biggest things that resonates with her about sustainable farming is the privilege of knowing how your food is being produced, as well as awareness of what you’re consuming. She explained that people are often  disconnected from the agriculture process, as our society has quick and easy access to food at supermarkets. Saltmarsh wants others to know that it is achievable to be connected to the food you are consuming. 

“Personally, I find it so important that people know what they are putting in their bodies and where it comes from,” said Saltmarsh. She said that a key part of sustainability to her is knowing “The connection between nutrition and farming practice.” 

She highlighted that educating her members on agricultural issues is an important facet to the club. 

One way that Saltmarsh has been working to educate the members of the OGC has been by hosting educational speakers. Recently, the club had a speaker from the Migrant Justice program come in to speak about the campaign “Milk with Dignity.” The program supports humane working conditions as well as liveable wages for farm workers.

Saltmarsh said that the group is very involved with UNH’s other student organizations. Last year, the OGC partnered up with the Sustainability Institute to host the Climate Challenge, founded by Briella Hirsch and Gabi Sott, now UNH alumni class of 22’. Last year was the first official Earth Day celebration at UNH. This year, Saltmarsh teamed up with a myriad of clubs across campus to hold the second annual Earth Day celebration: the Earth Day Jam Fest. 

UNH is one of nine universities in the country to earn a STARS Platinum rating for exceptional sustainability efforts ranked by the Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System. This appears to be made possible by the campus-wide efforts of organizations such as the Sustainability Institute and the many passionate clubs that showed up to support climate action this Earth Day, 2023. 

“I am honored that OGC was able to provide an inclusive and fun environment for people, organizations, clubs, bands and local businesses to come together and celebrate the Earth and everything she does for us,” Saltmarsh reflected. “I hope that Earth Day Jam Fest can continue to provide this space for years to come.” 

Ryan Malloy
Ryan Malloy