UNH Gears up for its annual Maker’s Expo

Courtesy of UNH.

Amanda Pirani, News Editor

DURHAM, NH – The University of New Hampshire (UNH) is preparing to hold its annual Maker’s Expo, Winter Wonderland edition, on Friday, Dec. 2 in the Memorial Union Building’s (MUB) Granite State Room.

The Maker’s Expo is an opportunity for the community to browse items handmade by university students, faculty and staff. According to MUB Director Melissa Beecher, there will be a total of 50 vendors this year supplying everything from “crocheted plushies, homemade jams, carefully crafted candles, beautiful purses, stunning jewelry,” to “customizable crafts like ornaments.”

The Makers Expo began in 2016 when a number of staff members wanted a way to highlight the crafters and makers on the UNH campus. While the Expo is open to the public, vendors are exclusively made up of members of the university community such as staff and students. 

Registration for the expo by creators can be completed easily online, where they can select from a variety of booth options for a small ticket fee. For those hoping to do some holiday shopping, expo attendance is free. 

The Expo is also an opportunity for local students to make some extra income before the holidays. Last year, UNH second-year student and studio art minor, Reka Irvanyi sold original prints and stickers with a couple of friends. 

“Me and my two friends that I was with really turned some profit,” said Irvanyi. “It was nice because we only paid  20 bucks  for one  table for the three of us,” she said. 

This year’s Maker’s Market will also feature a hot cocoa bar, hosted by UNH Conferences and Catering, between 1-3 p.m.

Sign up as a vendor or learn more here