UNH football: Max Brosmer’s Return Gives the Program New Energy

Eamon Cassels, Sports Writer

Durham, N.H. – In August 2021, the University of New Hampshire (UNH) Wildcats starting quarterback Max Brosmer suffered a non-contact injury resulting in a torn ACL during one of the last practices before the start of the season.

What followed was a year-long recovery process for Brosmer. This included surgery to repair the torn ACL and countless rehab hours where he worked relentlessly to get back to full strength. 

This injury wasn’t Brosmer’s first serious knee injury as during his final game as a senior in High School, he tore his LCL. This presented a 5-month recovery process for Brosmer just as he was preparing to start his freshman year at UNH. 

Despite the previous knee injury, the ACL injury and subsequent year-long recovery was a whole new challenge for Brosmer. Throughout the recovery, he stayed motivated and never stopped being positive. 

During the lengthy recovery process, Brosmer impressively never missed a rehab session. Even after the season-ending injury he continued to show up to practices and remained an active leader. The quarterback’s motivation during rehab was simple and to the point. 

“My passion and the will to get back to my team gave me the motivation during rehab,” Brosmer said.

The best quarterbacks are often the best leaders, and Brosmer’s teammates rave about his leadership abilities. Junior running back Dylan Laube called his quarterback “A great example for anyone on and off the field.” Wide Receiver Sean Coyne said that he, “Sets the example for the team being the first guy there and the last guy to leave.”    

Due to the pandemic and the aforementioned injury, this will be Brosmer’s first full season since his freshman season in 2019. During that freshman season, he appeared in all 11 games. Brosmer racked up 1,967 and threw for 12 touchdowns in his freshman season; he was awarded the conference’s rookie of the week twice. Brosmer led the Wildcats to a respectable 6-5 record in the process. That was then followed up by a disappointing 3-8 last season. 

The return of Brosmer and the hiring of first-year head coach Rick Santos have provided UNH with a renewed sense of excitement and energy. Energy isn’t the only thing the ‘Cats have going for them this year. In two games thus far the Wildcats remain undefeated.   

The Wildcats kicked off against Monmouth University’s Hawks on September 1st. The first game of the year is always a special one. It was the first game back for Max Brosmer made it even more special. 

Brosmer described the feeling of taking the field for the first time as, “a crazy exciting experience.” In the game, he threw for 272 and completed 51% of his throws on the way to a 31-21 victory. 

The next week saw the Wildcats take on the Albany Great Danes. They won an ultra-competitive game 28-23. Brosmer posted an extremely efficient 73 yards completing 78% of passes and throwing for a touchdown. 

This game put the Wildcats on the map and earned them a spot on the top 25 list for FCS teams. UNH looks to build upon this and continue to rise in the rankings. 

Brosmer and the Wildcats will look to continue their success when they host North Carolina Central Eagles (2-0) this Saturday at 6 p.m.

Photo courtesy of UNHwildcats.com