UNH Prepares to Celebrate University Day

Thompson+Hall

Thompson Hall

Ava Montalbano, Staff Writer

The University of New Hampshire (UNH) celebrates the beginning of the fall semester with University Day. The event is a longstanding tradition to celebrate the community and give students an opportunity to learn about over 250 student groups on campus. The university invites all students, faculty and members of the public to attend Wednesday, Sept. 7, outside Thompson Hall and along Main Street from 3:30-6:30 p.m. 

“There will be a picnic from UNH Dining, organizations and departments tabling to recruit and explain what they have to offer,” said Catherine Lamb, Coordinator of Student Organizational Success.“There will also be performances from the marching band, aerial dance, and the gymnastics team.”

From political activism to fraternities and sororities, U-Day offers a variety of clubs and organizations. There will be 10 trails within U-Day, each consisting of different types of organizations. Examples include political activism, student governance, media publications, university departments, culture, language, religion, sustainability, community service, performance, career and fraternities and sororities. At U-Day you can get to know organizations such as the Astrology Club, Knitting Club, UNH Dairy Club and intramural sports. In addition to these trails, local vendors will also be participating in the event. 

U-Day is an excellent opportunity to get involved in a club or organization. Each student organization is seeking new members, and it is a great way to build connections among other UNH students as well as potential employers.  There will also be a barbeque set up by UNH Dining Services for those who are food motivated.

First-year students like Jade Gagnon look forward to the event. 

“I’m very excited to learn about the clubs and extracurriculars UNH has to offer. I definitely will join and try out a new club,” she said. “I’ve always wanted to try a form of martial arts, so U-Day will be the perfect place to find it. I’m also pretty excited for the entire campus to come together for U-Day because a strong community is important.”