Everything deserves a second chance, even clothing

On March 5, 2021, Topanga Canyon Vintage reopened in a new location that is more accessible for customers. The small business is located at 13 Jenkins Court, Durham, NH and is open Wednesday – Sunday noon to 5 p.m. or by appointment.

University of New Hampshire (UNH) senior, Sadie MacIver has a passion for selling thrifted and upcycled clothing. MacIver used to run her own business via Instagram until she was approached by the previous owner of Topanga Canyon Vintage and asked to become a co-owner of the small vintage business. The two women got together and decided to collaborate and collectively became Topanga Canyon Vintage.

“We [Topanga Canyon Vintage] are working to stop fast fashion and really emphasize slow fashion and recognizing the carbon footprint that customers have when they buy clothing, because it’s not necessarily something everyone thinks about,” said MacIver.

Topanga Canyon Vintage is a secondhand, vintage clothing store. The two women thrift, upcycle, and create their own items to sell. The driving forces behind their store and items are providing customers with quality, low-cost clothing and giving everything a second chance. Most of the items sold at Topanga Canyon Vintage are clothing; however, they do have some “knick knacks” including hair accessories, shoes, decorations, and more. Throughout the store there are also small “booths” that include items from other small, local businesses. The two women want to encourage a sense of community throughout their store. By sharing local work alongside second hand and upcycled item it differentiates their store from chain thrift stores like Goodwill or Savers.

“I think what makes us most special is that we have members of the community that have small booths so to say where they sell their own handmade items,” said MacIver. “We have a couple of students at UNH – one sells candles and somebody else makes jewelry. I think what makes us most special is we have that aspect of community.”

Sadie MacIver classifies herself as an entrepreneur and business owner. She has been in this line of work for four years now and is passionate about helping the environment and reducing carbon footprints. MacIver is studying animal science at UNH and while her current job doesn’t directly relate to her studies, she said her business goals align with personal goals – helping the environment.

“I love clothing. I think that it’s the way I express myself. I feel most confident when I am like ‘this is an amazing outfit that I have’ and I feel good,” said MacIver. “I think clothing for a lot of people gives them that sense of confidence.”

Topanga Canyon Vintage can also be found on Instagram @topanga_canyon_vintage

Photo courtesy of Topanga Canyon Vintage.