Huddleston sends out gentle reminder before Super Bowl

By Cole Caviston, Staff Writer
University of New Hampshire President Mark Huddleston released a statement Thursday reminding students to act responsibly during the upcoming Super Bowl on Sunday.
“Enjoy the game and celebrate, but do so responsibly and safely,” Huddleston said in the email. He announced his statement as well through social media.

Specifically referencing the riots at the Keene Pumpkin Fest last October, Huddleston conveyed that such behavior would not be welcome in Durham.
“Students were injured, arrested, expelled. Neighbors were fearful. Everyone was embarrassed,” Huddleston said. “None of us wants that to happen in Durham.”
Huddleston further cautioned students to remain alert for any “negative behavior”, especially from non-students in attendance.
In closing, Huddleston reminded students that as members of the UNH community, they are bound to the “standards of advancing “our education mission” in order to “promote each student academic achievement and personal development.”
“I want to remind you to be safe, to take care of yourself, and to take care of your fellow Wildcats.” Huddleston said. “Please respect each other, the campus, and our Durham community.”
He added that on Sunday he would be rooting for neither the Patriots nor Seahawks: President Huddleston is a Buffalo Bills fan.

Below is the email sent out to all UNH students:
Dear Students:
Welcome back! I hope your semester is off to a great start, blizzard and all. In fact, I hope everyone has gotten out from under their warm covers for at least a little while, strapped on skis or skates, and embraced our beautiful New Hampshire winter on its own terms.
Speaking of pleasant diversions, I’m sure many of you are already looking forward to cheering on the Patriots (or Seahawks?) in this Sunday’s Super Bowl game.
Enjoy the game and celebrate, but do so responsibly and safely. It was just a few months ago that events in Keene got out of hand. Students were injured, arrested, expelled. Neighbors were fearful. Everyone was embarrassed. None of us wants that to happen in Durham. As you know, non-students are often attracted to parties and other gatherings in Durham, as they were in Keene. Be welcoming to all, but also be alert for any negative behavior.
Every class of students that enters UNH agrees to follow a set of standards in­tended to advance our educational mission, as well as to promote each student’s academic achievement and personal development. We agree to act as members of the UNH community.
I want to remind you to be safe, to take care of yourself, and to take care of your fellow Wildcats. Please respect each other, the campus, and our Durham community.
Go Pats (or Seahawks; as a Bills’ fan, I’m largely agnostic on this one)!
Best wishes for a great and safe semester,
Mark W. Huddleston
President​