Wildcat recap No. 1: Weeks of Aug. 16 and Aug. 23

Lacrosse: Kacie Lewis named ninth head coach in program history (8/17) 

Kacie Lewis will be replacing former America East Coach of the Year Sarah Albrecht in her new position as head coach of UNH women’s lacrosse. Lewis was previously the associate head coach of Bryant women’s lacrosse before being named the ninth head coach in program history at UNH. 

Read full story here. 

Women’s soccer: Wildcats shutout Merrimack on opening night (8/19) 

Women’s soccer kicked off the fall season for UNH athletics when they beat the Merrimack Warriors 3-0 at Wildcat Stadium. The Wildcats saw goals from first-year athletes Abbie Burgess and Meghan Guarente. Guarente also registered an assist boosting her performance to earn the America East Rookie of the Week. Senior goalkeeper Cat Sheppard recorded her 10th career shutout on her way to America East Defender of the Week. This was the Wildcats ninth straight home victory. 

Read full story here. 

Women’s soccer: Wildcats lose at Northeastern in first road game of season (8/26) 

The UNH offense struggled as the team fell to the Northeastern Huskies 1-0 in their first road game. Graduate student Mikenna McManus recorded the only goal of the night for Northeastern. Senior goalkeeper Cat Sheppard made six saves outside of the lone goal. 

Read full story here 

Men’s soccer: No. 20 Wildcats shutout Boston University on the road (8/26) 

No. 20 UNH defeated the Boston University Terriers by a score of 2-0 to begin their title defense. Senior Tola Showunmi and graduate student Johann von Knebel netted the two goals for the Wildcats. Junior goalkeeper Jassem Koleilat recorded the shutout in his first career start for UNH. 

Volleyball: Wildcats lose two out of three in their opening weekend (8/27-8/28) 

Volleyball began their season from Macon, GA at the Mercer Tournament. UNH fell to Murray State in their opening match 1-3 (12-25, 20-25, 25-23, 25-27). The Wildcats fell 1-3 to tournament host Mercer later the same afternoon (21-25, 25-22, 22-25, 24-26). The team was able to salvage a victory the second day defeating Stetson 3-1 (25-20, 13-25, 25-17, 25-22). 

Field hockey: Wildcats defeat Ohio University in first game of season (8/28) 

Redshirt senior Bloem van den Brekel scored the lone goal in the Wildcats first game of the season in Louisville, Kent.  against Ohio University. Junior goalkeeper Jemma Woods made five saves for UNH. 

Field hockey: Wildcats shutout by No. 5 Louisville (8/29) 

After a 1-0 win the day before, the Wildcats were kept at bay by the No. 5 Louisville Cardinals in a 0-3 loss. Junior goalkeeper Jemma Woods made 10 saves in the loss. The goals were scored by fifth-year athlete Alli Bitting, senior Katie Schneider and first-year player Filippa Niebuhr. 

Men’s soccer: No. 20 Wildcats sneak past Colgate in the home opener (8/29) 

Senior Tola Showunmi scored the only goal on the night in the Wildcats first home win of the season over Colgate. This is Showunmi’s second goal in as many games. He was assisted by fifth-year defender Sam Henneberg. Junior goalkeeper Jassem Koleilat made two saves on the night. 3,317 fans packed into Wildcat Stadium to watch 1-0 UNH victory. 

Women’s soccer: Wildcats continue to struggle on the road at Central Connecticut State (8/29) 

Women’s soccer lost in 1-2 in overtime at Central Connecticut State on Sunday night. Fifth-year captain Francesca Picicci tied the game in the 82nd minute for UNH sending it to overtime. Junior Roma McLaughlin sent the Wildcats home when she scored the game-winner in the 94th minute. Senior goalkeeper Cat Sheppard was credited with four saves for UNH.