The Student News Site of University of New Hampshire

The New Hampshire

The New Hampshire

The New Hampshire

Follow Us on Twitter

UNH suffers one-goal loss at Iona


UNH women’s lacrosse came off with a frustrating loss at Iona College after a late 2nd half rally by Iona’s woman’s lacrosse team Sunday afternoon. The Wildcats traveled to New Rochelle, NY on to face off against the Gaels at Mazzella Field.  

Right off the bat, junior midfielder Julia Neyland scored an unassisted goal, quickly followed by another unassisted goal by sophomore midfielder Emily Curtis to put the Wildcats up 2-0. UNH continued to chip away at the Gaels with goal by sophomore attacker Riley Burns with help from senior midfielder Caroline Hernon to extend the advantage 3-0.  

After being in a stalemate until 14:14, Iona answered with a goal from sophomore attacker Katherine Meyer. With 6:30 left in the first half, junior midfielder Elizabeth Blanding was set up by first year attacker Katie Taranto to put the Cats up 4-1. The Gaels managed to strike two goals within the last six minutes of the first half to give the game a one-point differential.  

As the second half started, Iona extended its scoring streak to three consecutive goals, tying the score 4-4 at 27:29. First year attacker Lily Powell and Neyland, who scored second of the game, both responded with goals 55 seconds apart to put the ‘Cats back up 6-4. Scoring three consecutive goals, the last two in a span of 36 seconds, the Gaels took their first lead of the game, 7-6, at 18:21.  

With two consecutive goals from Hernon and Curtis, Curtis tallying her second of the game, the ‘Cats retook their lead 8-7 at 10:47. Iona’s sophomore midfielder Emma Rippon tied the game for the fourth time at 7:31 on the fifth consecutive free position goal. Scoring what would be the final goal of the game, Kochanek fired a shot to give the lead to the Gaels with 6:05 left.  

UNH’s sophomore midfielder Abby Cranney controlled the ensuing draw but fired a shot wide of the cage. The Wildcats however retained possession and ripped a shot that was blocked by Iona’s Darcy. After retaining possession yet again, first year midfielder Ava Schroeder sniped a shot on goal that was blocked by Darcy, who corralled a ground ball at 3:49 to end UNH’s extended offensive pressure. Both of the Wildcats final possessions ended with turnovers at 2:17 and 1:11. The Gaels then proceeded to hold the ball for the last 71 seconds to secure the win. UNH’s (1-1) next game is at home against UCONN (1-1) on Sunday, February 23rd at 1 p.m. 

Leave a Comment
More to Discover

Comments (0)

All The New Hampshire Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *