Track & Field go to BU

This past weekend the men’s and women’s track and field teams sent representatives down to BU for the David Hemery Valentine Invitational.  

On the men’s side, senior Zach Astle won yet another throwing competition. This time it was the weight throw, and he set a new personal best distance of 65’7.75”.  

Other top finishers from this past weekend include sophomores Nate Hobbs and Kevin McGrath who each finished in fourth place in their respective events; Hobbs participating in the long jump  and McGrath in the high jump. Hobbs jumped a distance of 23’3.25” and McGrath jumped a height of 6’6.75”. 

The women’s side was also successful as senior Elisabeth Danis won her section while setting a new personal-best record in the 3000-meter run with a time of 9:49.74. Women’s head coach Casey Carroll spoke about that run saying, “That was great for her to have that run. We had to build her after her fantastic cross-country season and it’s nice to see that now carry over into the indoor season.” 

This coming weekend is the America East Championships, which will also be held at Boston University in their track and tennis center. Men’s head coach Jim Boulanger commented on his team and their preparation for the championships saying, “I think we’re just trying to get healthy and put it together for a team effort this Friday and Saturday.”  

Boulanger acknowledges that complete health may not be attainable, but he wants his team to push through. 

“I think we’re a little behind schedule because I think we’ve been a little dinged up as everybody on campus has the flu, I think that’s been our only problem the last few weeks… but come conference time it’s all about focus and even if you’re feeling bad stepping on the line and trying to run through it if you’re capable.”  

Carrol spoke on his team’s readiness and how they’re preparing as well. 

“We’re ready, we’re excited, we’re doing a lot of meet situations in practice. An example of that would be some moments here and there where instead of having the coaches hat on, I’ll have the officials hat on and I’m basically calling them to the long-jump runway, or the high-jump runway… so it’s very much a rehearsal.” 

The America East men’s and women’s Track and Field Championships will take place this Friday, Feb. 21 and Saturday, Feb. 22 at BU.