UNH dominates quad meet

The UNH Wildcats Gymnastics team hosted a quad meet this past weekend against WVU, George Washington, and Brown. They looked to continue and improve on their hot start to their season. The night was a little extra special for the ‘Cats as they hosted their annual “Stick it for The Cure” game where they raised money to fight cancer.  

The ‘Cats came out wearing their pink and blue leotards and would start the match on the vault. First-year gymnast Kylie Gorgenyi stepped up immediately, as she landed a match-best 9.825 on the first rotation. Behind her was senior Emma Winer who tied for fourth in the meet with a score of 9.775 on the vault. Sophomore Mariella Miele and senior Lexi Calandra were right behind Winer as they tied each other with a 9.750 to round out the first rotation for the ‘Cats. UNH led heading into the second rotation, but they were trailed closely by WVU.  

The ‘Cats moved to the uneven bars for the second rotation. Riley Freehling led the way for the ‘Cats on the bars as she took first place overall in the meet with a score of 9.825; this was her second week in a row doing so. Junior Clare Hampford, sophomore Hailey Lui, and Gorgenyi would all tie for second place with scores of 9.775. Lui set a season high and Hampford set a career best with the score. While the ‘Cats performed well in the second rotation, WVU was able to close the gap and tie UNH with a score of 97.675 heading into the final two rotations.  

For the third rotation, the ‘Cats headed to the balance beam. Lui shined on the beam as she topped the podium for the event, scoring a 9.825. The ‘Cats nearly swept the podium for the rest of the event, as Freehling and first-year gymnast Robyn Kelley both placed second in the meet with scores of 9.800. With a strong showing from the rest of the performers, UNH was able to outscore WVU to once again claim the top spot heading into the last rotation.  

In the fourth and final rotation, the ‘Cats needed a strong showing from all their performers to close the door and win the meet outright. Winer stepped up in a big way for the ‘Cats while setting her career best performance at the same time, scoring a 9.925. Lui placed second in the meet as she scored a 9.875, tying her personal best. Ava Watkins scored a 9.850 to tie for third, and Gorgenyi would wrap up her career night scoring a personal best of 9.800. The ‘Cats once again left no room for doubt as they posted a ridiculous 49.250 on the last rotation.  

When asked about the meet after, head coach Lindsey Bruck Ayotte said, “Tonight was our best match yet”. It certainly was as the ‘Cats swept the meet with a final score of 195.850, beating all three other teams. For the sixth consecutive meet, the ‘Cats also improved their highest score of the year.  

Bruck Ayotte also noted a special performance from First-year gymnast Kylie Gorgenyi, “Kylie Gorgenyi wasn’t supposed to be in the all-around tonight, but she stepped up and did an amazing job for the team”. Gorgenyi also took home honors of the All-Around champion of the night.  

The ‘Cats will go to North Carolina this weekend to take on UNC and NC State on Feb. 15 before coming home for their last home meet of the season on Feb 23.