On the Spot: Aquatics coordinator Ned Harvey

Starting this academic year, the University of New Hampshire (UNH) has a new aquatics coordinator, Ned Harvey, a 2014 UNH alum. 

UNH Aquatics is located at Swasey Indoor Pool in the fieldhouse and is home to various swimming programs. Swimming teams from UNH and Oyster River High School use the facility for training, but it is fully accessible to UNH students for free swimming, indoor kayaking, group and private swim lessons, and much more. Recently, UNH Aquatics has added Women’s Only Swim (Mondays 1-2 p.m.). The hours for public swimming can be found on the Campus Rec website. 

With all of those events, Harvey’s job is to make sure they are organized. 

“I help schedule, coordinate all those moving parts, so we have student leaders as well…” Harvey said. “We’re responsible for… swim lessons, lifeguarding, scheduling, and also all the external groups that come in; I’m their direct point of contact.” 

After graduating UNH in 2014 as a recreation management policy major and completing his graduate studies in the same field in Miami, Harvey worked a seasonal job at a summer camp in Maine for three years. When the seasonal aspect became too tiring, Harvey applied to the Aquatics Coordinator position at UNH. 

“It was kind of a roundabout process, but I’m excited I am back here,” Harvey said. “It’s been really cool to come back to UNH as an alum.” 

Harvey enjoys working with the diverse community of students (Aquatics has between 60 and 70 student employees) and strives to make the workplace more exciting for everyone. 

“That’s kind of my main goal, just to have a great group of students that love coming to work,” Harvey said, “That’s kind of the vibe of Campus Rec.”