Men win sixth straight

The #13 UNH men’s soccer team (8-0-2) hosted the Stony Brook Seawolves (2-7-1) last Friday at 7:00 p.m. in Wildcat Stadium. UNH hasn’t lost at Wildcat Stadium since the opening round of the 2018 NCAA Tournament when they were eliminated by Colgate, and that streak continued Friday as they took down the Seawolves and improved their nearly-perfect record. 

The lone goal scored in this game came from Wildcat junior forward/midfielder Jacob Gould. The goal came one second before the end of the first half.  

Stony Brook had already fended off five UNH shots on goal and 14 in total for the half but couldn’t keep Gould’s from the back of the net. UNH dominated the first half, only allowing Stony Brook to shoot the ball twice. 

Overall, UNH’s defense has been terrific as of late, as they have only allowed their opponents to shoot the ball 16 times in their last four games. The Wildcats’ opponents have only gotten double-digit shots off in one game this year and that was against Providence.  

With this win, UNH not only stays undefeated on the season but in conference play as well. They’re 2-0-0 in conference play thus far and are tied with UMass-Lowell atop the America East standings. 

UNH has played ten games on the season and only has six regular-season games left. Starting this Saturday, Oct. 9, the Wildcats embark on a three-game road trip that will end Tuesday, Oct. 22. During those two weeks, they will face-off against UMBC, UMass-Lowell, and Harvard. The first two games are in-conference matchups. Proceeding those two is UNH’s last out-of-conference game of the year against Harvard. 

Their next game against UMass Lowell may pose the biggest challenge of the year for the ‘Cats. UMass Lowell, as mentioned earlier is currently tied with UNH for first place in the America East conference with a 2-0 conference record and has played to a 7-2-1 record in 2019; which is by far the best record of any opponent they’ve faced in 2019. 

It is imperative that the Wildcats come away with the win in Lowell, MA to gain the advantage in the America East Conference standings. This way in the America East Tournament, if they face-off against UMass Lowell they will have home-field advantage. 

The Wildcats will be in Baltimore, Maryland for the first game of this three-game road trip on Saturday, as they play the UMBC Retrievers in Retriever Park at 7:00 p.m.