Spaulding Hall construction update

Spaulding Hall, the University of New Hampshire’s (UNH) science hall and life services center located at 38 Academic Way, is undergoing remodeling after its last partial one in 1996. The project is being done in two phases.   

Phase one is currently underway and includes a 50,000 square foot expansion to the existing 83,000 square feet and is predicted to be finished by the summer of 2021. UNH is funding $50 million for this portion of the remodel — the rest of the funding is being requested from the state of New Hampshire, requesting $36 million over six years, bringing the grand total to $86 million.    

The 50,000 sq. foot addition will include a brand new front exterior that features wall graphics and digital displays showcasing Spaulding’s commitment to science education and research, according to a previous article in The New Hampshire written by Benjamin Strawbridge.   

University Architect and Director of Campus Planning Douglas Bencks said the goal of the renovation is to increase the number of students who graduate with majors related to biology and neuroscience by addressing some of the barriers that are related to the limitations of the existing biology and neuroscience labs. The renovations will include new labs designed to accommodate new teaching methods and the research labs will be flexible so they will be able to adapt to new focuses and subjects that the students will be a part of.   

“The only things that will remain the same are the existing large lecture hall and the two teaching labs that were renovated three years ago,” Bencks said.  “But even these will be tied into the new power, heating and cooling systems.” 

According to an article published by Fosters Daily Democrat in March, the current air system in Spaulding contains chemicals that need to be taken care of appropriately. The systems need to meet codes so students and faculty can safely learn and conduct research. H.L. Turner Group has been chosen to renovate the labs inside the building.   

The hope for Spaulding Hall is to begin the phase two renovations right after phase one is complete in the summer of 2021. The goal is for the entire project to be completed by January of 2023.